Help What Are These Skin Bubble Like Cysts On Betta?

HelloKittyPowa

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey, my name is Monica. I just signed up hoping I could get some feedback in regards to my Crowntail male Betta named Koriand'r (Kory) I got him from PetSmart 2 weeks ago and I'm still adjusting to getting everything he needs as well as learning as I go about Betta care and I do have a concern in regards to his tail fin. I think it's tail rot, but I never seen photos online with what Kory has that I will show in a photo of mine. If anyone can please give input on what exactly the flabby bubble like things are that appear to be a part of his fins, please let me know and what I should do. I greatly would appreciate it.

Attachments

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello welcome to fishlore. Your betta appears to be ok. Do you know your water perameters?

HelloKittyPowa

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey, my name is Monica. I just signed up hoping I could get some feedback in regards to my Crowntail male Betta named Koriand'r (Kory) I got him from PetSmart 2 weeks ago and I'm still adjusting to getting everything he needs as well as learning as I go about Betta care and I do have a concern in regards to his tail fin. I think it's tail rot, but I never seen photos online with what Kory has that I will show in a photo of mine. If anyone can please give input on what exactly the flabby bubble like things are that appear to be a part of his fins, please let me know and what I should do. I greatly would appreciate it.
Okay, well I uploaded somewhat better quality photos pinpointing what I am talking about too if you and anyone else can see? Are you sure he looks okay? It's just odd I see these weird deflated bubble like things on his fins. As for the water parameter, I have yet to know myself. I am getting this aquarium water testing kit. I'm pretty new to all this so.. I appreciate the feedback.

That's normal?

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Now I see what your talking about. No that doesn't look normal, but I'm not exactly are what that is.

HelloKittyPowa

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay, so yesterday, I posted about my male betta Crowntail and it still remains unknown what exactly is on his tail fin. I'm new to Betta care and what I see looks like small deflated bubbles. I know it's not normal and I been trying to figure out and done research on what exactly it is, and what I can do to help him.. I provided more photos. If anyone possibly knows, please let me know, thank you.

Attachments

AquaBaby

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Only the 2nd image loaded for me. What i see in it is just the caudal fin.

Since I can't see the other pictures, I don't know if there's any fraying or what not. In this picture, the fin is sort of "closed" rather than flowing. Maybe like it's hanging there?

Hmmmm. How to describe these? There are three things on the fin that I'll call cysts. I can't tell if these cysts have fluid or air in them, but they appear to be kind of inflated. I can't tell if they are in the caudal fin, meaning in the middle of the fin and completely within the fin, or if they are at the end of pieces of a frayed fin rays and hanging over the rest of the fin. They really look like they might be the latter - like if you had a latex glove, tied off air in the tip of one finger, and let the glove hang. The cysts aren't out at the end of the fin, though. The cysts start approximately 1/4 of the way between the end of the peduncle and the end of the caudal fin, and end about 1/2 way. The caudal fin looks a bit red or pink around where these cysts start - but that could be lighting.

Now to try and describe the cysts. Okay, the two on closer to the bottom side of the fin (not the end, but the bottom) remind me of..... well, kind of like rat testicles. But these look like they are separate, not in one "piece of skin." The top one looks more tear drop shaped. They are all pretty similar in length, I'd say just under a 1/4 length of the tail.

I wish I could see the other pics. I'm curious as to what this looks like on the fish as a whole.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hello. Tell me more please. Can you tell if it’s the rays themselves as in inflamed rays or damaged rays that are healing? Or the webbing between the rays? @AquaBaby @BringKermitBack @Rtessy @Mary765 could y’all look at this baby please?
There are three skin bubbles on the tail fin between the rays, and these are larger than I've seen before. They're definitely inflated, and are paler than the surrounding skin. For size, think the back of the eye to the front of the mouth, one may be a bit larger, one smaller, and slightly thicker than a betta's eye.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There are three skin bubbles on the tail fin between the rays, and these are larger than I've seen before. They're definitely inflated, and are paler than the surrounding skin. For size, think the back of the eye to the front of the mouth, one may be a bit larger, one smaller, and slightly thicker than a betta's eye.
So definitely between the rays?

HelloKittyPowa

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I uploaded a video I recorded that maybe can help determine what exactly the deflated "cyst" Like things are.

I been doing research and I'm a newcomer to betta care and I know something is wrong with his fins and I just need to know what it is and what I should do. I uploaded a video of what I am talking about and if anyone has any feedback I would greatly appreciate it before buying products.

Last edited by a moderator:

Briggs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Can you get him to flare so his fins are spread out a little bit more? Were they ever actually bubbles? Is his behavior different since you noticed it?

It doesn't look like any problems I've seen in bettas before, so he might just have some imperfect finnage. If he's moving around, eating, and acting normally I'd keep an eye on it but not be overly concerned. My crowntail's fins are a little odd, though not in the same way. I got him from a box petstore and I don't think he has great genetics. Perhaps your little guy just has a quirk where he grows a little extra tissue between his rays sometimes.

nospaces

Valued Member
Reaction score
Id be concerned that its a cyst or a tumor, but I've never seen anything like that before.
What tank size is he in? Is it filtered?

HelloKittyPowa

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
@Briggs They are not actually bubbles they are like a part of his own skin or something, he does eat regularly, gets defensive naturally after seeing his own reflection, hahaha. He just seems normal. It's just the deflated like bubble cysts are what made me wonder is he okay and will it get worse.

@nospaces 5 gallon and yes it is filtered.

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Threads have been merged to keep all the information in one place

Tsukkomu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My betta gets these from time to time. Bettas get pimples, who knew!!! They are really worrisome at first. A normal dose of Seachem StressGuard clears them up in no time flat. They sort of ‘pop’ and then heal up. If you catch them in time they don’t rip he fins. It happened to me the first time I noticed one. It healed but left a small hole in the fin. Now when I spot them I dose stressguard fast enough they don’t do that.

I would pick up stressguard by seachem and try. If that doesn’t take care of them immediately then I’d start to worry it’s someyhing else.

The stressguard dosage takes care of mine in less than 6-12 hours. It’s insanely quick.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
He sounds very energetic and quite happy. It sounds more like cysts than tumors to me. Keeping the water parameters in check and his water warm should be all you need to do. As with all cysts you’ll need to watch for tearing. If it happens give methylene blue baths, aquarium salt baths or swab the areas with mblue or hydrogen peroxide. Make sure he’s getting the vitamins and minerals he needs. I don’t think you have anything to worry about.
And I’m sorry I can’t respond as often as I’d like. I try.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom