What Are These On Ramshorn Snail?

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by NoodleKeeper, Jul 21, 2019.

1. NoodleKeeper

NoodleKeeperValued MemberMember

Theyre almost like little extra antennae. Theyre only on the ramshorns, not my bladders or ponds. They move like extra tentacles but they do not move from where they seem to be rooted (if that makes sense?) Like almost like many tiny limbs...

I pulled my ramshorns from my tanks though those individuals didnt have anything on them but several in my snail bin do.

I keep snails extra in another bin because my son likes to watch them. But if these are bad parasites, i will cull the ramshorns affected.

Attached Files:

2. richie.p

richie.pFishlore VIPMember

there is a worm which infects snails and i can't remember the name at the moment but if it turns out to be a pest worm then the whole tank needs to be treated, i think just getting rid of the rams horn wont clear the tank, ill see if i can find the thread i was looking at a few weeks ago and the name of the worm, don't be to hasty lets get conformation first someone else may come in with the answer

3. richie.p

4. OP
    OP
    NoodleKeeper

Yeahhh this is just what theyre like, external too and they look like they pick at things as the snail is moving around.

Assuming theyre harmless to fish, but ill do more reading about them now i know a species name. Kinda neat, but still a bit unnerving

5. richie.p

things like this always are when first seen but i think fish would eat them if they became detached, it seems they live in harmony with each other i'll probably fin d them on my ramshorn if the assassin don't get to them first

6. OP
    OP
    NoodleKeeper

Ill just enjoy the new worm friends then lol theyre sorta neat. Thank you for that! I searched everything and google gave me nothing lol worms on fish or in tank but not on snails except weird internal ones that distort antenna lol