What Are These On My Water Wisteria

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Lefky, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Lefky

LefkyValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +46
    Experience:
    Just started
    Ive had this wisteria since I started my first tank, about 8 months ago, and all it does it grow. A week ago I started noticing what looked like smaller ones growing off of the main one, growing roots down and grabbing onto other plants and decor. There are about 3-4 growing from it.

Attached Files:

2. RSababady

RSababadyWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +742
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Are you referring to the black beard algae or to the white spots on the underside of the leaves - cannot tell from thepic.

The white spots look like air bubbles from a an stone or from just excess light and high photosynthesis levels.

The black hair stuff is algae and that needs addressing. BBA usually grows well and destroys plant like a parasite - i.e. the plants are being hijacked from light, nutrients and CO2 / O2.

I suggest you check your water specs - you must have or had ammonia to get the algae to first stage growth. Add fertilizers so the plants have the nutrients to grow. Check water circulation so ensure that the plants have a fresh supply of CO2 and O2.

Try to avoid cutting off everything the plants need - focus on getting the plants healthy again. You can use a soft toothbrush (new with no traces of tooth paste) to brush the BBA off the stems of the plants and the leaves.

3. OP
    OP
    Lefky

LefkyValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +46
    Experience:
    Just started
    I dont think its algae, I think its parts of the leaves that are dying off. The only time it was able to get ammonia is when the tank first started to cycle, now its been up for about 4 months fully cycled. No co2 but I do use seachem flourish, which I dont think works because I have carbon in my filters. Sorry I wasnt too clear in my post. I was asking what the parts on my plant were that are growing, the ones that look like more plans are growing off of the stems.

Attached Files:

4. JustinCG

JustinCGValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +32
  5. OP
    OP
    Lefky

LefkyValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +46
    Experience:
    Just started
    None, just stem, bulb and root plants

6. midna

midnaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,423
    Experience:
    2 years
    that is water sprite, not wisteria. it is a rosette fern that grows baby ferns from their leaves. so what you see are baby plants and their roots. you can gently remove them from the mother plant and replant them or let them float. you can also trim the roots if you want.

7. OP
    OP
    Lefky

LefkyValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +46
    Experience:
    Just started
    Will they grow ok if they are left floating?

8. midna

midnaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,423
    Experience:
    2 years
    yep! they actually tend to do better if they're left floating.

9. OP
    OP
    Lefky

LefkyValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +46
    Experience:
    Just started
    Sweet! Thank you!