What are these little critters in my tank?!?!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by zaichev, Dec 19, 2012.

1. z

zaichev New Member Member

I had a pregnant ghost shrimp. I put her in a ten gallon, let her give birth, and then took her out. I fed the little guys but they're dead two weeks later, it would seem, all at the bottom of the tank. :-(

However, running around them are hundreds upon hundreds of these little critters. No larger than the tip of a pin. I can see them with my flashlight. I'm concerned about putting the plant in that tank back in the main tank--what are these things?!?

2. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

Do they look like worms? Do some research on daphnia, planaria and hydra. In shrimp tanks it is usually one of those 3. Hydra can kill shrimplets I believe. These critters populations booms from overfeeding. Photos always help. Don't move your plants for now.

3. brodylane1122

brodylane1122 Well Known Member Member

White? Clear? Do they jsut crawl in the gravel?

4. OP
    OP
    z

I can't tell if they are white or clear, honestly. They are rather jumpy. As jumpy as those weird little hairy spiders you get in the summertime.

5. Y

If they have lots of visible tentacles they might be Hydra. Use the search bar up the top and search Fishlore. Almost every shrimpkeeper has this when they start out.

6. M

Mark7A Valued Member Member

I don't want to alarm anyone but the end of the world is supposed to happen on Friday (12/21/12).
    Could this be the beginning?

7. Y

Oh... My... God...

John 4:12 "And so the rapture did appear. Squiggly little white things eating baby shrimp shall be the first sign."

8. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

Do they look like these?

[video=youtube_share;k9bOYmBI-mo]http://youtu.be/k9bOYmBI-mo[/video]

9. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Hydra stay attached to surfaces I believe, so I don't think it's hydra. I agree with AP, I think they're probably copepods. I had them in my shrimp tank, and they move very jerkily and erratically. They're not harmful, they're a sign of a healthy tank.

10. matsungit

matsungit Well Known Member Member

Copepods? Oooh you're lucky!

11. OP
    OP
    z

Oh, I'm glad it's a good thing!

I was going to empty out that tank now that all my shrimp are dead.. They look to be mostly at the bottom; would it be a bad idea to pour the bottom of the tank water into my main 55 gallon?

12. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

If your 55 gallon doesn't have them, it's possible that it doesn't have adequate water conditions and they wouldn't survive anyway. It's not that a lack of copepods is bad, so I wouldn't worry about it. :)

13. Hashsohail

Hashsohail Valued Member Member

Hi i have tge exact same things in my tank and growing fast,,,, any medicine to kill them please. They are ugly and creepy.. Ive been told to buy new gravel and throw away the old one :( ive spent too much already :"""(

Are they dangerous to humans? I feed my blood oarrots with hand. If they crawl on my hand what will happen :OOO

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2013
  14. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

Consistent water change and try not to overfeed in your tank will reduce the population.

They are not harmful to humans.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice