What are these in my shrimp tank?

Notwhoyouthink001

Hey everyone! I have some strange little creatures in my shrimp tank that I cannot identify, I’ve tried every Google keyword I know and I’m not seeing anything pop up.

they look like tiny little greyish bugs, and there’s hundreds of them in the sand and on the aquarium walls. I’m not sure if they are the larval form of something? Are they dangerous? If so, how do I get rid of them?

second question is are these white shrimp looking things scuds? They are hunched over, abs at first I thought they were mooting shrimp. However, I’m pretty sure all the shrimp I have are blue and these things are not. Again, are they dangerous? Should I get rid of them? Thanks for any info!

I currently have 2 shrimp tanks set up, I was given the first one by someone already stocked, but I didn’t like the setup so I cycled a new tank and am slowly moving the shrimp over. There are a lot of babies so I didn’t want to empty the old one until I was sure I got them all. First pic is the old tank and the other pics are of my new tank. I’ve also noticed some planaria in both tanks and am going to pick up something to get rid of them this weekend. I was going to get some No planaria, unless someone has a better alternative. Again, any info is appreciated as I don’t know much about shrimp, these were unexpectedly given to me and I’m trying to make sure I give them the best care I can :)

Attachments

• ACC365B6-E0C8-45EF-956F-000C51DC1663.jpeg
    ACC365B6-E0C8-45EF-956F-000C51DC1663.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 29
  • AD6C9B2E-29F3-4216-9CE2-D717D485327C.jpeg
    AD6C9B2E-29F3-4216-9CE2-D717D485327C.jpeg
    252.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 2935CB4F-6C96-4EF8-AA7B-A5149B1DE164.jpeg
    2935CB4F-6C96-4EF8-AA7B-A5149B1DE164.jpeg
    326.2 KB · Views: 29

richiep

I think they are scuds

airfix2

they look like scuds to me. they are completely harmless, although they are apparently quite hard to get rid of.

richiep

They are more annoying to some people but harmless
The 3rd photo looks like s fully grown one

airfix2

if you have fish, you can feed them the scuds most likely.

StarGirl

The white ones look like seed shrimp. Neither of them are dangerous.

SparkyJones

big chunks of vegetable scraps skewered on a fork or a stick or whatever, and left in the tank for a couple hours, then you get a container ready, lift up and put it under it and pull it out of the tank with everything feeding on the veggie. Shake everything off into the container, pull out your shrimps and snalls and put them back, and either feed the scuds to other fish, or sell them to someone with other fish as food, or dump them out on the sidewalk if you like or take them to the lake and feed the fish. Really any vegetable scrap would work, banana peel, apple skin or core, piece of potato skin whatever you got laying around.

harvesting them like that won't get rid of them but it will keep the population down. Fish like eating them but most fish that would eat them would also eat your shrimps. if I were trying to eradicate them this way, I'd only feed this method, and hope I break the life cycle at some point and just keep returning the animals I want to keep and discarding the rest.

Notwhoyouthink001

they look like scuds to me. they are completely harmless, although they are apparently quite hard to get rid of.
So they won’t cause a problem if I keep them with my shrimp? I don’t mind them, but I don’t want to do anything to endanger my shrimp!
They are more annoying to some people but harmless
The 3rd photo looks like s fully grown one
Ty! So they won’t eat my shrimp or anything?
The white ones look like seed shrimp. Neither of them are dangerous.
Ty!! As long as they won’t harm/bother my shrimp I don’t mind having them!
big chunks of vegetable scraps skewered on a fork or a stick or whatever, and left in the tank for a couple hours, then you get a container ready, lift up and put it under it and pull it out of the tank with everything feeding on the veggie. Shake everything off into the container, pull out your shrimps and snalls and put them back, and either feed the scuds to other fish, or sell them to someone with other fish as food, or dump them out on the sidewalk if you like or take them to the lake and feed the fish. Really any vegetable scrap would work, banana peel, apple skin or core, piece of potato skin whatever you got laying around.

harvesting them like that won't get rid of them but it will keep the population down. Fish like eating them but most fish that would eat them would also eat your shrimps. if I were trying to eradicate them this way, I'd only feed this method, and hope I break the life cycle at some point and just keep returning the animals I want to keep and discarding the rest.
Thank you!! Are they harmful to keep around or should I go about removing as many as possible? I don’t mind them personally, but I don’t want to hurt my shrimp!

SparkyJones

Not harmful to your shrimp with exception they multiply faster and will outcompete your shrimps for food over time. You'll want to feed more, and they will get it and grow more.
But you can keep the numbers down pulling them out like I mentioned in an earlier post. It is a good free food resource for fish. Whether you have another tank or know someone that keeps fish that could use it as a supplement. I kind of wish I had a scud colony myself for feeders to offset some food cost.

Notwhoyouthink001

Not harmful to your shrimp with exception they multiply faster and will outcompete your shrimps for food over time. You'll want to feed more, and they will get it and grow more.
But you can keep the numbers down pulling them out like I mentioned in an earlier post. It is a good free food resource for fish. Whether you have another tank or know someone that keeps fish that could use it as a supplement. I kind of wish I had a scud colony myself for feeders to offset some food cost.
Ok awesome! I’ll keep the numbers down like you said and feed them to my other tanks, I have multiple other (fish) aquariums and I’m sure they’d love some as a treat!

SparkyJones

Ok awesome! I’ll keep the numbers down like you said and feed them to my other tanks, I have multiple other (fish) aquariums and I’m sure they’d love some as a treat!
That's awesome! It's what I would so. Put a vegetable scrap on a fork leave it in the tank for an hour or two and pick it up, put a bowl under it the tank and pull it out and them shake it off. Return the stuff you want to keep, and feed the scuds to your other tanks.
It's a good foraging food resource overall. Just in shrimp tanks there's nothing to eat them.

Notwhoyouthink001

That's awesome! It's what I would so. Put a vegetable scrap on a fork leave it in the tank for an hour or two and pick it up, put a bowl under it the tank and pull it out and them shake it off. Return the stuff you want to keep, and feed the scuds to your other tanks.
It's a good foraging food resource overall. Just in shrimp tanks there's nothing to eat them.
Awesome! I’ll definitely do this, thank you!

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom