what are these guys

altitude

Reaction score
hey
ive got some little guys that came into my tank on some live rock id like to post a few pics of them so someone might be able to help me identify them but I can't seem to get the or attachment options to work. anyone know what's wrong or how to post the pics??

OP
A

altitude

Reaction score
thanks ill try it

I don't think they are amphipods ill try to get the pics up

OP
A

altitude

Reaction score
thanks for the idea on the only pic I can get to work... that one I know is a ricordia.. just not sure which kind there are some other things in there that I'm really not sure about and those are the pics I'm still working on thanks fpr the help

on another note... coral banded shrimp I know eat tube worms and bristle worms... ive noticed a drop in the feather dusters on the rocks in the tank since he showed up... do they eat feather dusters too??

Mike

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Um, that looks like aiptasia: Aiptasia anemone. I've had a coral banded shrimp in one of my tanks for about 2 years now, and I've not witnessed them eating feather dusters. Feather dusters may start to die off if the water quality is declining. They need calcium supplementation to build their tubes.

Not sure about the coral banded shrimp eating bristleworms.

Miss Mouse

Well Known
Reaction score
AAARGGGHHH yes aiptasia - that looks like one to me! I had a lot of trouble getting rid of it but just be persistent. I bought some lemon juice and squeezed it from a dropper right into the middle of the anenome - I had no more trouble after that. If that still doesn't work I've heard Joe's Juice is good too but a little pricey :-\

Mike

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lysmata wurdemanni - (peppermint shrimps) worked great in a tank I had with an aiptasia outbreak.

Terry

Reaction score
I'm no expert on corals & polyps yet, but that first picture looks like it might be a Majano anemone? They come in different colors - brown, green, etc. The majanos are typically about the size of a quarter. I think I have a brown and a green one that came on my live rock, and I haven't decided if I want to dispose of them or not. If they are majanos they can sting your corals and zoes.

OP
A

altitude

Reaction score
thanks for all the input guys
the tank is really coming along.. I think the outbreak is undercontrol.. I managed to get rid of all of the ones in my tank then another apitista came in on another rock with some mushroom corals so I'm going to try to lemon juice on it hopefully before it multiplies
the coralife light really helps them grow

Newtankdude

Reaction score
I think my science teacher had the one in the first pic in his 95 ga tank. He said that it's a pest anemonea, you don't want it.
I would go with those other guy's suggestions! ;D

Deejaysims

Reaction score
I have also heard that these guys are pest anenomies.... is there any reason behind it other than they mulitply so rapidly??

are they harful to fish of the water quality? i.e releasing toxins or something??

I think they look quite cool...

Mike

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
considered pests because of the fast growth rate and they can sting other inverts/corals.

New Threads