What are these guys?

BirdMom

I got these guys about a month ago, when I asked for GlowLight tetras...I ended up with one GlowLight Tetra & 6 of these guys they've since colored up quite a lot & have doubled in size but I still have no clue what they are.

Their eyes are like an ice silvery blue & have an orange colored stripe on either side of their spine.
I'm fairly certain I can sex these cuz the ones with the darker orange color are more narrow, whereas the less orange ones have a rounder belly & their belly is more silver in color. Their fins have a very thin white edge on them in both sexes.

They are peaceful but always hungry & the first to get to the food they're especially fond of blood worms. What are they?

20200919_190035.jpg

20200919_190006.jpg

20200919_190105.jpg

coralbandit

Congos for sure .
You got a deal !

Nataku

Congo tetras! Boy what a steal. The males will be the more colorful ones with more vibrant orange. They will also grow a longer dorsal fin and small trailers from the center of the tail that will be edged in white. Beautiful fish as adults. Just know that they get significantly bigger than a glow light tetra so depending upon what tank you put them in, it may change your stocking plans.

BirdMom

Nataku said:
Congo tetras! Boy what a steal. The males will be the more colorful ones with more vibrant orange. They will also grow a longer dorsal fin and small trailers from the center of the tail that will be edged in white. Beautiful fish as adults. Just know that they get significantly bigger than a glow light tetra so depending upon what tank you put them in, it may change your stocking plans.
I'm actually kind of freaking out about that right now... I have a 29 gallon aquarium & I currently have:
1 dwarf gourami male
3 salt & pepper corydoras
1 Glowlight tetra
4 Black kuhli loach
9-12ish Adult assassin snails (plus a few eggs but haven't seen any babies)
A breeding colony of albino corydora (3 adults, 6 almost adults, maybe some yet to be eaten very small fry ‍♀ & more eggs then I care to mention)
100,000,000 Ramshorn snails

So what size Aquarium do I need to upgrade to if I'm going to add at least 5 more GlowLight tetras & hopefully a female dwarf Gourami plus everything above hopefully a few less "Gary's."

My Java Fern is too big for a 29 gallon anyway...plus Christmas is coming

I do have a empty 29 gallon & a 10 gallon as well...help!

BirdMom

After looking at their pH requirement I don't think I'm going to be able to keep these guys...Anyone in Upstate NY or Massachusetts want to buy 6 Congo Tetras?

Nataku

If you have two 29s, I'd split your stock between the two tanks.

So, top, middle, bottom groupings. In one 29 you could have
Top: Dwarf gourami x2
Middle: Glowlight tetra x6
Bottom: Kuhli loach x4 (add more kuhlis, they have tiny bioloads and like groups)

Top and middle: Congo tetra x5 (+2 more to make a school)
Bottom: Corydoras

And then split your guppies by gender between the two tanks to stop the breeding. So males in one, females in another.

I wouldn't be overly worried about pH with congos unless you have some crazy extreme pH. They do fine in anything from 6.5 - 8.2 in my experience. Pretty hardy species overall, just gotta be ready for a tetra that's pushing 3" as an adult (granted they're slow growers so that's still a year out.)

Alternatively, if you wanted all of them together in a single tank with room to fill out the schools? Get a 55 or a 75.

BirdMom

Nataku said:
If you have two 29s, I'd split your stock between the two tanks.

So, top, middle, bottom groupings. In one 29 you could have
Top: Dwarf gourami x2
Middle: Glowlight tetra x6
Bottom: Kuhli loach x4 (add more kuhlis, they have tiny bioloads and like groups)

Top and middle: Congo tetra x5 (+2 more to make a school)
Bottom: Corydoras

And then split your guppies by gender between the two tanks to stop the breeding. So males in one, females in another.

I wouldn't be overly worried about pH with congos unless you have some crazy extreme pH. They do fine in anything from 6.5 - 8.2 in my experience. Pretty hardy species overall, just gotta be ready for a tetra that's pushing 3" as an adult (granted they're slow growers so that's still a year out.)

Alternatively, if you wanted all of them together in a single tank with room to fill out the schools? Get a 55 or a 75.
I don't have guppies just a bunch of Corydora & Haven't been able to find anymore Kuhli loach in my area I have been looking

Top Bottom