What Are These Fish?

1. natrickshwazey Member Member

So I may or may not have impulsively rescued a couple fish from a friends tank without knowing for sure what the species were. I believe the larger may be a green terror and the smaller blue guy to be some sort of mbuna. If the big guy is in fact a green terror I have plan for him, which includes his own tank. Any Ideas?

photo 3 (5).JPG photo 1 (36).JPG photo 2 (35).JPG
  2. fissh Well Known Member Member

Looks like a Texas cichlid and a electric blue Johanni (a mbuna)

3. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

agreed with @fissh

Texas cichlids would need a 75g they get to 12", and mbunas should be in species only tanks.
  4. Coptapia Member Member

That's Herichthys carpintis. It's called the Green Texas but it's from Mexico.

5. natrickshwazey Member Member

Ok thanks guys, has anyone had success keeping the mbuna with other species? my crowd of tiger barbs are pretty feisty and I was considering just leaving the mbuna in with them since he's just a one of. I wound up with these guys when I went to pick up a firemouth for my tiger barbs after all (the firemouth had died due too aggression and the other cichlids in the tank were rather beat up as well) As for the Texas Cichlid, I will be moving him to an empty 29 I have (he's about 4 inches right now) and looking vigorously for a 75 or larger. Any other particular care requirements for the big guy? he really is a lovely fish and I'd like to keep him if I can. The conditions i took these two from were abhorrently poor.
  6. fissh Well Known Member Member

I've seen some strange mixes of fish work. leave them in and fee what happens.