What Are The Tiniest Fish In The Aquarium Hobby?

1. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

I've been growing out some mosquitofish fry in my 20 gallon, and it got me thinking. What is the smallest fish in the aquarium hobby that you have either owned or know of?
    I love the sight of the little babies shoaling together through the plants. It's really peaceful seeing such tiny fish shoal together. And they don't touch the shrimp because to them the shrimp are giants. But mosquitofish grow and they will have to be moved to the pond in the future. Are there any fish that stay that tiny their whole lives, or similarly tiny?

Thanks. :)

2. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Glowlight tetras? They don't grow more than 2 inches.

3. OP
    OP
    B

They're cool, but I'm thinking more of something that doesn't grow past 1/2 inch.

4. Kenny777

Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

Neon tetras

5. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

Do you mean mosquito rasboras? Those guys are pretty tiny. The next thing up is killis and neon tetras. Dario darios?

OH! Ember tetras?

6. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Least killifish (males) and celestial pearl danios grow to under a inch, and they are probably as small as it gets for aquarium fish that won't cost a few years/hundreds of dollars to find/get.

7. m

mollybabes Well Known Member Member

Rummynose tetras?
    Butterfly loaches(I think that's what they are called)

8. goplecos

goplecos Well Known Member Member

9. Claire Bear

Claire Bear Well Known Member Member

The smallest, and most colorful I have owned were the male endlers I raised for a few years.

10. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

My endlers are so small, but boy do they have personality. They are the smallest I have.

11. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Probably male least killifish.

12. OP
    OP
    B

It seems Danionella dracula is one of the smallest from what I've seen. I'm going to check a few websites to see what they've got. I don't really know if I want swimming fish for this tank due to the shrimp, but I'll have to do more research.

Edit: Seems Danionella dracula can be purchased. I'll keep them in mind.

13. O

Over It Well Known Member Member

Pygmy Corydoras are the smallest I've owned. Then Ember Tetras and male Endlers. I think CPD would tie with the Embers and Pygmy Corydoras.
    My Amano Shrimp look like giants compared to the Pygmys, but they Embers are really small too. I hope to get some Chili Rasboras soon since I have read they are even smaller.

14. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

The smallest I have owned isn't even fish, but dwarf shrimp lol.

15. BettaPonic

BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

The smallest for me is Least Killifish.

16. sfsamm

sfsamm Well Known Member Member

Emerald dwarf rasbora and Celestial pearl danios all stay under an inch. Dario Dario are some I've been wanting to keep as well as chili rasbora they are also supposed to be maxed out at the one inch mark.

17. bgclarke

bgclarke Well Known Member Member

Pygmy cories, ember tetras, and male endlers are the smallest fish I've kept so far.

Chili rasboras will make an appearance in one of our tanks in the future.

18. sfsamm

sfsamm Well Known Member Member

I forgot about pygmy Cories.... I've been on a hunt for those myself lately :)