40 Gallon Tank What are the possible additions to my 40 gallon tank?

AlGo

In my 40 gallon tank I have 5 total - 1 new guinea rainbow, 2 angel fish, 1 opaline gourami, and 1 golden gourami, so far they are doing pretty well, except that occasionally golden gourami chases the opaline gourami. I would like to add one more fish that is peaceful like the angel and the rainbow fish, or I could add a couple if I remove the opaline. What fish will get along with the ones I have? Please advise.

Noroomforshoe

The angels and gourami are all top dwellers, you don't want to add more top dwellers. you want middle dwellers like the rainbow, and or bottom dwellers.
Angels should not be considered peacefull, they are territorial cichlids, they may be tolerating there tank mates, but they have every potential to tear them up as well. The pair may be male and female, and someday they may bread, and the gourami may be in trouble. So keep watch on there behavior!

What are the dimensions of the tank? The new guinea rainbow can get to 6 inches. the angels can get to 6+ inches tall. the gourami 4-6. You dont want to over do it.

Linda1234

A 40B isn't tall enough for adult angels; also the angels behavior will change once they are adults.

ProudPapa

Welcome to the forum. I don't want to seem like I'm piling on the new guy (or gal), but you have several things going on.
  • As mentioned above, two angels might work, or it might not. If they're the same sex they might fight when they get older. If you have a male and female they still might, or they might pair up and get aggressive to the other tank inhabitants.
  • The gouramis both belong to the same species (3-spot gouramis; Trichopodus trichopterus), and while they aren't generally as aggressive as dwarf gouramis they can still be pretty mean. My son-in-law had two of them that got along fine but would kill anything else put in the tank.
  • Rainbowfish are shoaling fish, and do better in groups, so if you're going to add anything I'd suggest more of those (the same species you already have).
I'm not saying you should get rid of the angels or gouramis, but informing you so you can keep a close eye on things, and have a backup plan if it goes sideways.

AlGo

Thank you all for your responses. I can't tell if I have male or female angels. Also, I have a tall fish tank. The gouramis are all over the place, always digging and licking everything in the tank. So in nutshell what I understood is that the angels can become aggressive and I need to keep an eye. Hmm...I think I will not add anymore fish for now. This is my first time keeping a fish tank and it's only been a week since I got the angels and two weeks since I got the others. By the way, I had to remove the three spot blue gourami as it was too aggressive, even nipped at the angel fish when I introduced them. Thanks again.
Thank you all for your responses. I can't tell if I have male or female angels. Also, I have a tall fish tank. The gouramis are all over the place, always digging and licking everything in the tank. So in nutshell what I understood is that the angels can become aggressive and I need to keep an eye. Hmm...I think I will not add anymore fish for now. This is my first time keeping a fish tank and it's only been a week since I got the angels and two weeks since I got the others. By the way, I had to remove the three spot blue gourami as it was too aggressive, even nipped at the angel fish when I introduced them. Thanks again.
Attached a video.

Noroomforshoe

Actually, Angels And gourami can both be aggressive, you have learned that too.
If you want to add more fish, they should be peacefull non nippy , not too active mid dwellers Or bottom dwellers. A school of small cories would be a great addition when you are ready.

AlGo

Actually, Angels And gourami can both be aggressive, you have learned that too.
If you want to add more fish, they should be peacefull non nippy , not too active mid dwellers Or bottom dwellers. A school of small cories would be a great addition when you are ready.
Thanks for the advice!

Linda1234

Attached a video.
Ok that is not a 40B; it has positives and negative - it is plenty tall for angels but swimming space is some what restricted. I think it is fine for a single angel or even a pair but there is not a lot of room for other fishes. The only additional fish I would think that would work would be something on the bottom whether it is a small group of cory or a single pleco. I would recommend 6 cory. I would not add any other fish that swims mid level given the restricted swimming area. You could try something at the top instead of the bottom but most of the fishes that come to mind are too small (angels would eat them) so i would let someone else suggest something that stays on the surface if that is the route. Still I think a small group of cory would be best if you want to add something else but i'm not recommending the additional of more fish given the current density.

DerekO24

I would add more rainbows , they’re schoolers and that would look cool. Good taste in fish. I love rainbows and angels too

AlGo

Ok that is not a 40B; it has positives and negative - it is plenty tall for angels but swimming space is some what restricted. I think it is fine for a single angel or even a pair but there is not a lot of room for other fishes. The only additional fish I would think that would work would be something on the bottom whether it is a small group of cory or a single pleco. I would recommend 6 cory. I would not add any other fish that swims mid level given the restricted swimming area. You could try something at the top instead of the bottom but most of the fishes that come to mind are too small (angels would eat them) so i would let someone else suggest something that stays on the surface if that is the route. Still I think a small group of cory would be best if you want to add something else but i'm not recommending the additional of more fish given the current density.
Thanks, Linda! I agree the horizontal swimming space looks constricted. I could add Cory catfish i think they help keep the tank clean
I would add more rainbows , they’re schoolers and that would look cool. Good taste in fish. I love rainbows and angels too
Actually i really want to add more rainbows, the one I have is so well behaved, active, and big too. But i think adding a few more may clutter the tank will having two rainbows work? Or, do we need more for them to get along well?

ProudPapa

Thanks, Linda! I agree the horizontal swimming space looks constricted. I could add Cory catfish i think they help keep the tank clean

I'm not sure what you mean by corys keeping the tank clean. They will clean up food that gets past the other fish, but they don't eat fish poop or algae.

AlGo

I'm not sure what you mean by corys keeping the tank clean. They will clean up food that gets past the other fish, but they don't eat fish poop or algae.
The acquarium store people said that they eat fish poop and algae. So that's not correct?

Coradee

Hi & welcome to Fishlore.
Unfortunately this is incorrect information that still gets repeated about corys all the time :(
They are not cleaner fish nor are they algae eaters, they verge on the more carnivorous side of omnivores & although they will “clean up“ any food that hits the bottom they still need their own diet.

ProudPapa

The acquarium store people said that they eat fish poop and algae. So that's not correct?

No, as Coradee said, that's not correct. They eat neither of those.

AlGo

interesting! Thanks for the info! I would have added the Cory only for this reason but now won't as I don't fancy their looks.
I see the two gouramis are doing a pretty good job of digging out leftovers.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ljayb2
  • Question
55 Gallon Tank Stocking 55 gallon tank
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views
jinjerJOSH22