55 Gallon Tank What are the opinions on Submersible heaters Vs Canister filter heaters?

ChiLady

What are the opinions on Submersible heaters Vs Canister filter heaters? I love the idea of the canister filter heater since it will be hidden and don’t have to worry about where to put it so it isn’t so noticeable. But also that it will be certain to circulate the heat evenly. But it is a pretty new concept, so I worry that it hasn’t worked out all the bugs yet. So what are your opinions on this? Also I have a Fluval 404 canister filter, if I were to get a heater for this, what brand would work with my filter?

Aquarist

Hello ChiLady,

I'm not familiar with the types of heaters for canisters. I'll be looking forward to reading what others have to say too.

Ken

jglove276

Not sure it would work on a Fluval but I use a Rena smart heater that is actually the intake for the canister so it heats the water both like a regular heater and as it inters the filter. I think it looks more appealing than a standard heater. Also there are in-line heaters that are available that you can consider that can be completely out of view.

blasto172

hI all, I currently am using a 300w Hydor ETH (external thermal unit) on my 55 gal and love it. It keeps the tank temp. rock solid, I've never seen it vary. Plus I like the fact that I can keep an electrical device out of the tank, nor worry about a fish getting burned on it. I've seen the rena heaters and while I think there and interesting idea, I think they are better suited for hob filters. I just don't see it being very efficient to heat the water as its leaving the tank, by the time it makes it through the filter and back in the tank you'll prob lose a good deal of heat. It just seams to make more sense to heat the filters output.

So in short I highly recommend an external heater to anyone using a canister filter, you won't regret it. also petsolutions has them for 44 right now.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Cody
  • luv2laugh2288
  • Heater
Replies
Views
mbkemp
  • Question
Replies
Views