10 Gallon Tank What are the go to heaters for 10g aquariums.

Jallen42
Hi all just curious on what people go to when they HAVE to buy an aquarium heater? I would like something compact, but I’d rather a quality heater over a preference if that makes sense. I was just looking at maybe a cobalt 50w but unsure what other reliable options people have chosen. Appreciate the info!

FishSupreme
Eheim heaters are always my go to.

Fisch
Cobalt Neotherm are awsome heaters.
For a 10gl I most likely would increase and go for the 75W, just because it would not have to work as hard. The form factor is the same.

Luckyscale2003
i love aquoen 50 watt heaters cause there cheap and they don't die I have used and abused mine and have had them for almost 2 years its amazing!!

Zach72202
FishSupreme said:
Eheim heaters are always my go to.
Eheim are probably some of the best in the heater business currently. They cost extra- too much in my eyes, but it is the 'Porsche' of heaters. I would also go with the 50w for several reasons that I will explain.

Fisch said:
Cobalt Neotherm are awsome heaters.
For a 10gl I most likely would increase and go for the 75W, just because it would not have to work as hard. The form factor is the same.
I see you have just started by your profile, and for a 10g tank, given it is in a heated house, 50w is the max you would want. I like the idea of saying a heater "won't have to work as hard", but it doesn't really work like that- it really has two modes: On and off. There isn't an effort scale here.

You see, when heaters go bad, it isn't the heater itself that normally goes bad over usage and time, it is the temperature actuated switch that turns the heater on and off within the heater. With higher wattage in a smaller tank that heater is turning on and off more times per day, which means that that switch gets more wear faster.

Here is an example:
Both heaters use the same switch, as is customary with all brands
50w heater goes on and off 4 times per day and can do that 5,000 times. That means that heater will last for about 3.5 years. Sure it runs longer, but it will last longer in usage time without issues, plus that gives slower temperature change in the aquarium for less stress on fish.

75w heater goes on and off 6 times per day, and can do that 5,000 times. This means this heater will last about 2 1/4 years before any problems. Thus costing more money in the long run to buy a new heater.

Going with the smaller (but proper) wattage really allows the life to be extended on these things if treated properly, and in addition to this, when that switch fails, the heater may stay on, which leads to cooked fish, or off, which means cold fish, and you may not notice when this happens until it is catastrophic.

In the event that the room the tank is in is over 20F difference in temp from the tank temp, you may want to step the heater up to a 75W to make up for this. This would be in the instance that you have a room that is 60F and you need the tank to be 84F or 86F, which is unlikely, but possible. The reason for this is because a 50W may run for a very long time and be fighting the heat loss as it is just trying to warm up the tank.

I am not saying this to try and bite your head off, but rather my point and my explanation. This is information that people don't really tell you because it takes a while to explain. I hope this makes sense

If it makes you feel better, my first 10g tank had a 200w heater in it

CrackerboxPalace
Eheim all the way if you can afford it. being a a broke student i buy from a local (Australian) brand. Fairly reliable heaters but I'm guessing you don't live here so it's not so practical - here's the link either way

edit: so it turns out aqua one has a UK site too, if that helps.

Fisch
Zach72202 said:
Eheim are probably some of the best in the heater business currently. They cost extra- too much in my eyes, but it is the 'Porsche' of heaters. I would also go with the 50w for several reasons that I will explain.

I see you have just started by your profile, and for a 10g tank, given it is in a heated house, 50w is the max you would want. I like the idea of saying a heater "won't have to work as hard", but it doesn't really work like that- it really has two modes: On and off. There isn't an effort scale here.

You see, when heaters go bad, it isn't the heater itself that normally goes bad over usage and time, it is the temperature actuated switch that turns the heater on and off within the heater. With higher wattage in a smaller tank that heater is turning on and off more times per day, which means that that switch gets more wear faster.

Here is an example:
Both heaters use the same switch, as is customary with all brands
50w heater goes on and off 4 times per day and can do that 5,000 times. That means that heater will last for about 3.5 years. Sure it runs longer, but it will last longer in usage time without issues, plus that gives slower temperature change in the aquarium for less stress on fish.

75w heater goes on and off 6 times per day, and can do that 5,000 times. This means this heater will last about 2 1/4 years before any problems. Thus costing more money in the long run to buy a new heater.

Going with the smaller (but proper) wattage really allows the life to be extended on these things if treated properly, and in addition to this, when that switch fails, the heater may stay on, which leads to cooked fish, or off, which means cold fish, and you may not notice when this happens until it is catastrophic.

In the event that the room the tank is in is over 20F difference in temp from the tank temp, you may want to step the heater up to a 75W to make up for this. This would be in the instance that you have a room that is 60F and you need the tank to be 84F or 86F, which is unlikely, but possible. The reason for this is because a 50W may run for a very long time and be fighting the heat loss as it is just trying to warm up the tank.

I am not saying this to try and bite your head off, but rather my point and my explanation. This is information that people don't really tell you because it takes a while to explain. I hope this makes sense

If it makes you feel better, my first 10g tank had a 200w heater in it
I understand where you are coming from. I was more referring to the ambient heat. I noticed that the bigger heater is more capable of overcoming the day/night swings in my house, still keeping the steady temperature. My smaller ones struggled a bit.

Latest threads

Top Bottom