What are the electricity charges for the aquariums? Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jaysee, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I was wondering what people thought it costs to run their tanks. My latest bill was like 130, but there are three of us that live here in a large 3 br townhouse. We all have plasma tvs that get left on when they should be turned off and waste electricity one way or another. Also, I have a waterbed that is kept at 92 for the winter. I don't have any special lghting and only leave them on for 8 hours a day. And all the tanks are heated. All things considdered, I don't think it's that bad. I voluntarily pay an extra $30 for electric for my tanks. The other two are happy wth this, but is that really a fair deal?

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Jaysee.
    These two link may help you:

You may need a copy of your last months electric bill to find out the kilowatt per hour rate.
    Ken

3. redlessi

redlessi Well Known Member Member

Not sure on dollar amount of extra electric used, but I do know that my water bill has almost doubled since starting my tanks.

4. D

David C Well Known Member Member

My 55gal with upgraded lighting and my betta tank combined only boosted my bill by about $10 a month. Not bad considering the joy I get out of it.

Dave

5. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

You have a lot of tanks, so it doesn't seem like a bad deal to me to pay an extra $30 per month. I'm sure our 8 tanks bump up the bill at least that much... especially with the new metal halide on one of our reef tanks! :p

6. OP
    OP
    Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I should probably be paying $50 or more extra. If I wasn't moving in 2 months I'd change it. I thnk it's gonna take a whole day just to move the tanks.

I only have 3 tanks that are more than 30 gallons, so I'm sure that helps to keep it down.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice