What are the electricity charges for the aquariums? Question

1. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I was wondering what people thought it costs to run their tanks. My latest bill was like 130, but there are three of us that live here in a large 3 br townhouse. We all have plasma tvs that get left on when they should be turned off and waste electricity one way or another. Also, I have a waterbed that is kept at 92 for the winter. I don't have any special lghting and only leave them on for 8 hours a day. And all the tanks are heated. All things considdered, I don't think it's that bad. I voluntarily pay an extra $30 for electric for my tanks. The other two are happy wth this, but is that really a fair deal?

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

3. redlessi Well Known Member Member

Not sure on dollar amount of extra electric used, but I do know that my water bill has almost doubled since starting my tanks.

4. David C Well Known Member Member

My 55gal with upgraded lighting and my betta tank combined only boosted my bill by about $10 a month. Not bad considering the joy I get out of it.

Dave

5. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

You have a lot of tanks, so it doesn't seem like a bad deal to me to pay an extra $30 per month. I'm sure our 8 tanks bump up the bill at least that much... especially with the new metal halide on one of our reef tanks! :p

6. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I should probably be paying $50 or more extra. If I wasn't moving in 2 months I'd change it. I thnk it's gonna take a whole day just to move the tanks.

I only have 3 tanks that are more than 30 gallons, so I'm sure that helps to keep it down.