what are some small fish?

19jimmy17

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I got a 5 gallon tank today and i want to stock it with a bunch of small fish and plants basically make it like a freshwater nano tank. So i was wondering if some of you could tell me about some small killi fish species or other small fish you know about. I'm also interested in hearing what your favorite plants are or what you have found easy to grow.

AshWolFF

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There aren't many options for that tank size. I would go with 5-6 endlers maybe, cautiously paired with a Betta. My endlers and Betta get along very well but it really depends on their own temperament.

Even the smallest killifish need at least 10-15 gallons of space.

Viriam Karo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Endlers, chili rasboras immediately come to mind. Also scarlet badis.

Neocardinia shrimp if you don't want to do fish!

Plants... water wisteria is pretty easy. Mosses (java, in particular) and such are nice if you don't want a lot of light or a lot of maintenance. Oh. And Salvinia cucullata is a floating plant that is absurdly easy to grow, if you want. It's a surface floating plant, not an immersed floating plant.

AshWolFF

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Scarlet Badis and Chili Rasbora may be really tiny but they do prefer groups of 3 and they are pretty active. Most recommend ten gallons but I could be wrong.

Viriam Karo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes, I mean, I probably wouldn't put anything but a betta or shrimp into a 5 gal, personally. Just easier to not worry about them in a bigger tank. But those are probably the closest you'll get... even Endlers are social fish. I've seen a minimum of 5 gals for scarlet badis--one male, two or so females.

Dolfan

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In a 5 gallon, your options are very limited. I think for most fish this is a bit too small. Maybe 1 Betta by itself but even then its a bit cramped. A much better idea would be to make it a shrimp only tank. Cherry shrimp can be very cool and interesting. You could start with 10 shrimp and with luck and good tank conditions you could have a colony of 50 or so in less than a year.

19jimmy17

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have a shrimp tank that is a ten gallon I was actually thinking of moving them to the five gallon. I just want to know of some smaller fish species that are someone what uncommon don't worry about the fish requirements I will do the research on the fish.

I also want to know some of the names for future reference so just spit out names of the smallest fish species you know

Cygnus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
While I wouldn't recommend any fish for a 5 gal, here are the smallest that I know of.

Scarlet Badis
Mosquito Rasbora
Celestial Pearl Danio
Emerald Dwarf Rasbora
Endlers
Dwarf pygmy goby

Mamajin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Cygnus gives a nice little list of nano fish that are fantastic for a 5 to 6 gallon nano tank. Be aware though that nano fish are quite popular and can sometimes be extremely hard to find. When you do find them they can be rather spendy. In my research, and personal experience, nano fish can be very sensitive so keep that in mind if you order online.

TJBender

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
A few ideas:

1 betta (male or female, one only)
4-5 Endlers (males only!)
2 guppies (males only!)
2 sparkling gouramis
1 dwarf puffer (nothing else in the tank aside from feeder snails)
2 scarlet badis (M:F pair only, a M:M pair would become territorial)

A "bunch" is difficult to achieve in a five, as it's just too small to comfortably fit more than 1-2 of any fish aside from Endlers. Other nano fish like CPDs, Dwarf Rasboras, Ember Tetras, etc. generally need a 10g tank because of shoal/school size requirements. If you want a "bunch" of life in the tank, I'd recommend buying 6-8 red cherry shrimp and making the 5g a species tank just for them. They're not always cheap, but they are fun to watch dart around the tank, and if you provide hiding places and java moss, they'll most likely breed for you.

I suggest you head out to your LFS and write down the names (common and scientific) of any fish that really jump out at you, then ask about each here. The scientific name is important because pet stores don't always label common names correctly, nor do they always label scientific names correctly, but they usually get at least one of the two right-ish enough for us to figure out what they're talking about.

Cygnus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
TJBender said:
If you want a "bunch" of life in the tank, I'd recommend buying 6-8 red cherry shrimp and making the 5g a species tank just for them.
Now that I would agree with. A 5 gallon would make for a really nice shrimp tank. There are plenty of good hardy options and even some seldom seen shrimp. The green shrimp is one that comes to mind.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom