What Are Some Plecos That Eat Algae And Stay Small?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Wilson Johnson, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Wilson Johnson

Wilson Johnson Valued Member Member

Hey guys. I was wondering what pleco eats large amounts of algae and only grows to 6 inches max. I know some plecos don't even touch algae so that's why I say "algae eating". Thanks!

2. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

Bristlenose Pleco's stay small (around 4-5" max) and eat some algae. I don't think any pleco eat's tons of algae. If you are having algae issues, it is better to figure out the cause of them, rather than adding another fish to try to fix things. Here is a link to an article I put together on dealing with algae, it should help...

Algae problems and how to deal with them

3. OP
    OP
    Wilson Johnson

Wilson Johnson Valued Member Member

I don't have an algae problem, I just don't want any algae at all in my tank, I know I will have to feed the pleco algae pellets, but I want one that eats a lot of algae too

4. Mike the fish keeper

Mike the fish keeper Valued Member Member

A nice algae eating catfish are oto catfish. They stay 2-3 inches and mostly eat algae.

5. Al913

Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

What size tank? What is the current stocking? What model filtration?

As mentinoed the idea is to prevent algae in the first place. Fish are not ideal as algae eaters since there is more requirements to them. I suggest getting shrimps and nerite snails which are the best algae eaters. Plecos aren't as good as the inverts plus they produce a lot of waste.

Otos are a shoaling fish so you need at least 6. They are voracious algae eaters but you need to have a tank that is planted and 3 months establish. After 2 days or so they will finish the biofilm and you will have to feed them spinach, algae wafers, zuchinni, and cucumbers.

6. fissh

fissh Well Known Member Member

BN plecos are the best algae eaters I've ever seen! I have 100's of shrimp and 22 ottos and around 30 nerites. Of all these fish the BN pleco is the best algae eater. This is hands on experience not something I read on the internet.

7. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

I see my BN's hardly eat algae hahaha. All my plecs and oto's seem to be more on the carnivorious side of the omnivores they are hahahaha.

8. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

I know my group of Bristlenoses eat some algae (maybe 80% of it) because they did make a difference to the amount in the tank.

Also, I can see it in their bellies, but if I wanted all the algae removing from my tank I'd have to do it myself.

Bristlenose Catfish Ancistrus Pink-eyed Yellow 6' Aquarium Steve Joul 04.02.13 - Copy.JPG

Instead, I've learnt to accept algae as a natural part of the aquatic environment.

When I had a Sailfin Pleco (note: six foot tank needed) he ate every last millimeter of algae in the same tank. It was not possible for me to clean the ornaments as well as he did.

Sailfin Suckermouth Catfish Glyptoperichthis gibbiceps.jpg

The same ornaments appear in both pictures for an algae-cleaning comparison to be made between the two species.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice