What are some good fish for a ten gallon tank?

SuriahAnderson

Hey everybody, I'm currently still in the process of cycling a new ten-gallon tank. But for when it's done, I was curious about the kinds of fish that I could get that would do well in a tank that size.

Any help would be appreciated.:)

ANudibranch

Hello! What experience do you have? If you are a beginner I would suggest some basic tetras and/or shrimp. Tetras could be ember tetras (some of my favs) or neons. If you do shrimp, go with Neocaridina Davidi (red cherry shrimp) as they are basic. Also, definitely get some plants in there if you don't already because they help the tank in many ways. I assume you are a beginner because of this question, but if you have some experience I have always loved pea puffers and you could get up to three of them (I recommend just one though. What temperature would you keep this at? If you could provide some more info that would be great!

SuriahAnderson

I have a little bit of experience when it comes to fish but not much, when I was younger I would keep a few goldfish in a little plastic container because I never had a real tank...but fast forward over a decade later and I've finally gotten an actual aquarium. But for all intense and purposes, yeah let's go with beginner.

ANudibranch

Haha ok. So with a ten gallon you actually have a lot of options. I've always personally loved shrimp and have kept them in low-tech setups. I would say if you want to do that, you would be great at it. If you do, drip acclimate them for about 3-6 hours before putting them in. It will help the mortality rates tremendously. For fish, as I said, ember and neon tetras are a great option. Bettas are also pretty cool but basically everyone knows about them. Honey gouramis are hardy and would do well. Those are some basic fish but if you want to know about anything else, please ask! Do you have a fish in mind already?

SuriahAnderson

There are a couple of fish species I've been thinking about: like guppies, for instance. But mostly, what I'm wanting to do is build a tank community with a variety of fish.

WRWAquarium

Hi

A 10 gallon Community tank then.

What about 2 small groups of nano fish and 1 small group of bottom feeders?

Such as:

6 celestial pearl danios
6 chilli rasboras
6 pygmy Corydoras

Im not 100% sure that would work but it's the kind of community stock I can imagine in a small tank.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
pompomgoldfish
  • Question
Replies
Views
BettasAreSuperior
  • Question
Replies
Views
ProudPapa