What Are Some Fast Growing Plants That Most Fishes Eat?

Snorlex

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'd like to use some plants as fish food. Don't have any fishes yet, most probably start with guppies/platys, shrimps/snails.

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Most fish besides goldfish do not eat plants. You can throw some plants in there, but they won't eat them.

smee82

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Eloda is fast growing and most fish that eat plants will eat it.

OP
Snorlex

Snorlex

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
smee82 said:
Eloda is fast growing and most fish that eat plants will eat it.
I see. Thanks all.

MTSRandy

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My community tank thinks anacharis is a snack. I had to hide it amongst my background plants just to give it a chance at growing. Throw loose stems in and its stripped bare in an hour or two. Crazy fish! Lol

OP
Snorlex

Snorlex

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
MTSRandy said:
My community tank thinks anacharis is a snack. I had to hide it amongst my background plants just to give it a chance at growing. Throw loose stems in and its stripped bare in an hour or two. Crazy fish! Lol
Lol. If a plant is "stripped" will it grow back it's leaves? Or the fish pretty much killed it?

Kzibell086 said:
my guppys like my crypts and java fern windelov but I thiing that's just them. my oscar loves tearing up all of the other plants
Looks like it depends on the fishes. Thanks

GlamCrab

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have floating plants (dont know what they are but they were free) my dwarf gouramI keeps snacking on them

image.jpeg
(The plants)

In my case, these plants were going downhill until I got the gouramis and they ate parts of it (I think they ate dieing leaves) Now it looks just as healthy as when I got it

Jocelyn Adelman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My guppies eat nothing my Goldie's on the other hand..,,
As mentioned above, it's mostly goldfish that eat plants and some chichlids that just destroy them. Rarely do other fish/inverts eat healthy plants....

MD_Plants

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
GlamCrab said:
I have floating plants (dont know what they are but they were free) my dwarf gouramI keeps snacking on them

image.jpeg
(The plants)

In my case, these plants were going downhill until I got the gouramis and they ate parts of it (I think they ate dieing leaves) Now it looks just as healthy as when I got it
I'm pretty sure these are water spangles

Jocelyn Adelman said:
My guppies eat nothing my Goldie's on the other hand..,,
As mentioned above, it's mostly goldfish that eat plants and some chichlids that just destroy them. Rarely do other fish/inverts eat healthy plants....
my guppies can go through 3 4 inch windelov leaves in around a day if they felt like. And they eat there food I feed them so there not starving or anything

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My platy's and Guppies ALL eat and nibble on my plants ( Java moss, Moss balls ,etc )
I had a lot of other leafy plants but between them and my loaches, they destroyed everything so I only have the few plants ( Java moss and moss balls ) which seem to thrive and grow well enough for them to each.

grantm91

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have two tanks I had a load of duckweed growing in one and I used to take it out and put it in my other tank that has 6 silver dollars in every time it got out of hand but in the end I got sick of all the duck weed being everywhere I got it all out and put it in the soil in the garden to rot away the other day, I did enjoy it for a while but in the end I decided it was making my tank look shady and abit dirty.
9c3d09bd732bb8a7164709fff3626c9e.jpg
7eed5729494fd67d3d565087e758bc53.jpg

MD_Plants

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
grantm91 said:
I have two tanks I had a load of duckweed growing in one and I used to take it out and put it in my other tank that has 6 silver dollars in every time it got out of hand but in the end I got sick of all the duck weed being everywhere I got it all out and put it in the soil in the garden to rot away the other day, I did enjoy it for a while but in the end I decided it was making my tank look shady and abit dirty.
9c3d09bd732bb8a7164709fff3626c9e.jpg
7eed5729494fd67d3d565087e758bc53.jpg
Did the duckweed ever come back? I had a ton of duckweed in my Candy Basslet tank and I hated seeing such an amazing fish covered by duckweed. I removed all of it that I could see but it kept coming back. I started selling it to petco (I'm not lying I live in a rural area, it is a small store and they take forever to get orders in so they usually buy stuff if needed) any way, some dude came in to the store wanting a ton for a goldfish pond. Made over 300 dollars off him but it kept coming back

MD_Plants

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
And I had the problem when there were any algae outbreaks, they could attach roots to algae and grow in it

grantm91

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Well I only took it out 3 days ago but its all out like every last bit, but il let you know if it comes back

New Threads