What Are Some Fast Growing Plants That Most Fishes Eat?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Snorlex, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Snorlex

Snorlex New Member Member

I'd like to use some plants as fish food. Don't have any fishes yet, most probably start with guppies/platys, shrimps/snails.

2. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Most fish besides goldfish do not eat plants. You can throw some plants in there, but they won't eat them.

3. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Eloda is fast growing and most fish that eat plants will eat it.

4. OP
    OP
    Snorlex

I see. Thanks all.

5. MTSRandy

MTSRandy Valued Member Member

My community tank thinks anacharis is a snack. I had to hide it amongst my background plants just to give it a chance at growing. Throw loose stems in and its stripped bare in an hour or two. Crazy fish! Lol

6. MD_Plants

MD_Plants Well Known Member Member

my guppys like my crypts and java fern windelov but i thiing thats just them. my oscar loves tearing up all of the other plants

7. OP
    OP
    Snorlex

Lol. If a plant is "stripped" will it grow back it's leaves? Or the fish pretty much killed it?

Looks like it depends on the fishes. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2017
  8. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

My fish love eating a plant called spinach :D

9. GlamCrab

GlamCrab Well Known Member Member

I have floating plants (dont know what they are but they were free) my dwarf gourami keeps snacking on them

image.jpeg
    (The plants)

In my case, these plants were going downhill until i got the gouramis and they ate parts of it (i think they ate dieing leaves) Now it looks just as healthy as when i got it

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  10. Herkimur

Herkimur Well Known Member Member

11. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

My guppies eat nothing :( my Goldie's on the other hand..,,
    As mentioned above, it's mostly goldfish that eat plants and some chichlids that just destroy them. Rarely do other fish/inverts eat healthy plants....

12. MD_Plants

I'm pretty sure these are water spangles

my guppies can go through 3 4 inch windelov leaves in around a day if they felt like. And they eat there food I feed them so there not starving or anything

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2017
  13. GlamCrab

GlamCrab Well Known Member Member

Thanks~ now i know what they are

14. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

My platy's and Guppies ALL eat and nibble on my plants ( Java moss, Moss balls ,etc )
    I had a lot of other leafy plants but between them and my loaches, they destroyed everything :mad: so I only have the few plants ( Java moss and moss balls ) which seem to thrive and grow well enough for them to each.

15. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

I have two tanks i had a load of duckweed growing in one and i used to take it out and put it in my other tank that has 6 silver dollars in every time it got out of hand but in the end i got sick of all the duck weed being everywhere i got it all out and put it in the soil in the garden to rot away the other day, i did enjoy it for a while but in the end i decided it was making my tank look shady and abit dirty. [​IMG][​IMG]

16. MD_Plants

Did the duckweed ever come back? I had a ton of duckweed in my Candy Basslet tank and I hated seeing such an amazing fish covered by duckweed. I removed all of it that I could see but it kept coming back. I started selling it to petco (I'm not lying I live in a rural area, it is a small store and they take forever to get orders in so they usually buy stuff if needed) any way, some dude came in to the store wanting a ton for a goldfish pond. Made over 300 dollars off him but it kept coming back

17. MD_Plants

And I had the problem when there were any algae outbreaks, they could attach roots to algae and grow in it

18. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

Well i only took it out 3 days ago but its all out like every last bit, but il let you know if it comes back

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice