What are some easy fish and plants that can go with guppies in a 10 gallon?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by happyfins14, Jul 25, 2015.

1. h

happyfins14 Valued Member Member

Hi guys! I'll get right to it.

I'm planning to buy the Aqueon Glass 10 gallon aquarium at Petsmart's dollar per gallon sale. I've always loved guppies but never really had the chance to get them because I own two bettas, each in a 5 gallon aquarium, who I could never give away.

So my ideas for stocking the tank are:

1. Four or five fancy male guppies
    2. Three or four shrimp. I'm not sure what kind- I love ghost shrimp, but there's good things about amanos too, so it anyone has pros and cons about them, that'd be great.
    3. A snail or two. I do not want snail babies, and I hear nerite snails are good, but I also like apple snails. Snail suggestions would be helpful.

I'm not really sure about the rest. I did some research and decided that platies are a possibility, but I just don't really like mollies. Of course, if anyone has a lot of fun with mollies, I would be willing to reconsider.

Guppies and shrimp are the musts for this tank. They and bettas are probably my favorite freshwater animals. I just want a lot of variety in this tank, but little to no chance of inhabitants attacking each other.

I'm planning to buy a light and lid to go with the tank. I've been obsessed with live plants recently too, so I thought I'd try out java fern, java moss, Marimo moss balls, anacharis, and any other plants you could suggest that require very low maintenance. I have anacharis currently, which is doing well. I had an anubias in the past but really had no idea how to care for it. Are there any specific plants that guppies or platies prefer? Oh, and I really don't know how to do the CO2 system thing, but if someone could explain I might be able to give it a try.

The filter I'm planning for is the Aqueon Quietflow for the 10 gallon.

I'd appreciate any and all help offered. Thank you so much for your time. I'm so sorry if this question should be in a different category. I just joined and am currently learning the ropes. :)

Thanks again! Bye!

P.S. Feel free to tell me everything that's wrong with my plan. I do not want any fishy casualties.

2. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Hello! Welcome to Fish Lore! :D

I think with four or five guppies and the shrimp, you'll be pretty stocked, imo. So no more fish, again, imo.

As for plants, I can't offer advice on that as I've never kept them. :)

Also, don't forget the heater for the 10g!!!
    And I would also recommend you getting the API Freshwater Master Test Kit to monitor your water parameters if you don't already have one.

3. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

I'd personally get a better filter, I think they make an Aquaclear 20, I'd advise you to get one of those, they are so much better than cartridge filters. They make great use of the room in the back and offer much better biological filtration.

I assume you know to cycle a tank before adding any stock?

4. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Hi and welcome!

If you are looking for variety in addition to your must-have's, why not get a bigger tank esp if you are taking advantage of the $1 per gal sale. I also got a 10g when I initially started and really regretted it bc of the limitations in stocking options.

5. OP
    OP
    h

All right! Thanks for the advice. I will definitely look into that. Filters that don't come with the tank always scare me lol. That filter sounds perfect, but it sounds like it's made for 20 gallon tanks. Would that make the 10 gallon cleaner, or have too much current?

Yes, I am pretty familiar with the cycling system. I plant to cycle it with all of my plants, so it will prepare the water and have the plants grow before adding fish. Win win, right? My only question is, and maybe I should be posting this elsewhere, but there is a lot of conflicting information on how long someone should cycle a tank. Any tried and true number of weeks I should do?

Thanks for replying so quickly btw!

I did consider that, but I only have so much room. I am actually moving, too, so I wanted a tank that wouldn't be especially difficult to move. Moving a ten gallon would be easier than a twenty. But if you believe that it will be better in the long run, I will consider it. Thanks for the advice!

OMG i totally forgot about the heater!! I was looking at them online and then decided to join this forum for advice and then completely forgot!!! Thank you so much I can't believe myself. Is there a specific heater that would be good for my planned tank?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2015
  6. el337

Then I think you may want to buy the tank after your move so it will be less stressful on the fish. And that way you can get the bigger tank and easily put in your 5 guppies, snails, shrimp and whatever else depending on compatibility and tank size. :)

7. BornThisWayBettas

Try to get an adjustable one if you can, even though I went with a 50w Tetra heater for my ten gallon. Pretty sure this is similar to the one I have, but a different wattage than what I'm currently using in my 20g: http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-Heater...79863&sr=1-5&keywords=50+watt+aquarium+heater

8. el337

Also, here's a link to low-light plants. I don't think guppies, platies or any other fish prefer any specific plant. I think they'll be happy with any live plants in general.

I just started low-light planting myself with a water wisteria and anubia and it's definitely rewarding already. :)

General Guide to Low-Light Planted Tanks

9. OP
    OP
    h

Oh don't worry. I don't plan on buying the fish before the move. I just wanted to get the tank and use up a merchandise card from Petco. Sadly it can't be used online. And I am moving out of the state. Lucky me, right? :)

Sweet. Thanks so much! I did put water wisteria on my possibilities list. Let me know how the fish like it! And thanks for the link!

10. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

There's no Petco or Petsmart in the state you're moving to?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

11. OP
    OP
    h

There is, just none within seven hours of the town I'll live in. I will probably get the aquarium there, but I just hate road trips. :/

12. Dom90

Oh wow, so I'm gonna assume you're getting all your tank supplies online from Amazon or Bigals.

13. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

Yes, the Aquaclear 20 is rated for a 20 gallon, but you can't have too much filtration, it's better to over filtrate than under filtrate. The only downside to using a bigger filter is it can cause too much flow for some fish, but that filter would be fine with that size tank and also shouldn't be a problem with those fish, that particular filter does have an adjustable flow also.

The filters that come with the starter kits are generally the cheapest filter they can get away with providing. The Aquaclear is made by Hagen Fluval, they are one on the leading brands in the hobby, they make some of the better equipment. I run an Aquaclear 50 on my 29gallon as well as a canister.

If your still hesitant you could look up reviews on that filter and draw you own conclusions but in my opinion it's the best of the shelf HOB filter and will save money in the long run as the media will last pretty much forever.

Here is a link about the nitrogen cycle and cycling an aquarium.

https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  14. Dom90

The filters that come with the starter kits are underrated. Don't buy a starter kit because you will spend more in the long run upgrading all the junk equipment that comes with.

15. OP
    OP
    h

Thank you so much for clearing that up :) and your tank sounds very well taken care of

Yup. I've already checked out Amazon; they seem to have all the aquatic plants I want and my favorite fish brands.

16. B

Blk69 Valued Member Member

FYI, if you decide to go with a 20 gallon, they make a long and a tall version. If you have the space, suggest the long as more surface area. Others may disagree. Think the tall is several inches shorter (better if space is an issue).

17. OP
    OP
    h

All right, thanks for the heads up. I know a lot of people do not like the look of a tank longer than it is tall, but I hear a lot of fish prefer horizontal swimming space rather than vertical. Plus I actually like the longer look. And it can fit in a bookshelf or something.

Well anyway thanks!

18. BornThisWayBettas

If you're planning to put it in a bookshelf, please make sure that your shelf can hold that much water. Water is very heavy, so like I said, just make sure whatever you're putting the tank on can handle it. :)

19. Tiny goatfish

Tiny goatfish Well Known Member Member

Ghost shrimp are very cute, I highly suggest them. They are really fun to watch and do a good job of cleaning the tank. They WONT eat algae though.

Also for easy plants, I think Anubis are really easy the only thing special thing that they need is to be tied to rocks or driftwood, or have their rimozine (the thick root) above the substrate.

Good luck with your tank!

20. OP
    OP
    h

That's true. I might just end up putting it on a dresser or desk. My tank right now is on a book shelf, but it's five gallons, not twenty, so.... :)

Yeah, I love ghost shrimp. I had one but this lady left the tank light on 24/7 for eight days so he cooked and died :( But I definitely want to get more. I loved watching mine eat and explore.

I am considering Anubias, but I had a few questions about it. I know there are different kinds of them. Should I look for specific kinds, or are they all easy? Also,do they do better tied to lava rocks or driftwood?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice