What Are Signs Of Breeding With Multis?

Discussion in 'Shell Dweller Cichlids' started by PLECO657, Aug 2, 2017.

1. PLECO657

PLECO657 Valued Member Member

[​IMG] my multis have now settled in and created their scape, the two males have claimed each side of the tank and females that stay along with them. What are signs of breeding or any clues that might signal they are getting ready to breed? I'm really hoping my multis will start a colony

2. Deaddawg

Deaddawg Valued Member Member

Are you using salt?

3. OP
    OP
    PLECO657

No, what does salt do for breeding??

4. liberosis4170

liberosis4170 Valued Member Member

Don't mind me, just admiring your multie tank.
    (I don't have any answers or suggestions for you, sorry.)
    Felt like showing appreciation for the species and your effort.

5. Deaddawg

When i bought my multis they sold me seachem tanganyika salt and said to put 1.5 tlbs per 20 gallons. They said lake tanganyika is a little salty. Chromedome52 said i dont need the salt so I'm checking with other multis owners to see what they are doing.

6. Deaddawg

The salt is to mimic Lake Tanganyikas water. I have read to do frequent water changes and feed them brine shrimp. I think it takes awhile for them to settle in. I'm starting to get desperate to the point of lowering the lights, lighting candles and putting on some Barry White.

7. OP
    OP
    PLECO657

Okay, thanks. I'll try feeding them brineshrimp and upping my water change schedule

8. miles44

miles44 New Member Member

Signs can be females moving in and out of shells frequently, occupying the same shell. Also significant movement of sand in the aquarium i.e major sands mounds and digging almost to the bottom of the tank. Males chasing the females into shells not letting them leave. Sounds like your seeing breeding behavior already.

9. OP
    OP
    PLECO657

Thank you so much, my multis have dug all the way to the bottom threw two inches of sand in 3 different areas and there's a huge 7 inch tall mound on one side lol. Hopefully they'll start breeding soon

10. M

MWR Valued Member Member

Before you know what happened there will be tiny fish coming out to eat stuff in the water column. Look closely - they might be there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice