What are shrimp culls?

FishPlanet

Hi all! So I am starting to breed blue velvet shrimp but I was wondering, what is culling? How do you cull? Are they just different colors? Do they have some kind of deformity? Sorry for all the questions. :oops: Thanks :D

NearMeBettas

Hi all! So I am starting to breed blue velvet shrimp but I was wondering, what is culling? How do you cull? Are they just different colors? Do they have some kind of deformity? Sorry for all the questions. :oops: Thanks :D
Culling is when you remove the unwanted traits from your stock. Animals are must commonly culled to get the desired color or size, pretty much anything not fitting the breeders criteria of "perfect or near perfect". The culls can be sold for a cheep price. Now, if your culling because of a deformity, I would euthanize as you do not want deformities passed down.

JettsPapa

For fish, culling involves removing unwanted colors and physical characteristics. For shrimp you don't often have physical deformities (or at least I never have), but you're almost certain to have some with undesirable colors. I typically net them out when I feed the shrimp, and move them to another tank. All my community tanks have thriving shrimp populations (okay, maybe they aren't exactly thriving in the rainbow / angelfish tank, but I see one occasionally).

By the way, if you don't already have one I'd recommend getting a net made for catching shrimp. They're smaller than most fish nets, with tight mesh, and they hold their shape well. They typically have telescoping handles, and they're available with round or square nets. I prefer the round one, but others have different opinions. If you're in the US you can get them from Amazon for about $6.00, or they're available at most fish stores also.

Similar Aquarium Threads

10 Gallon Tank Help understanding shrimp
Replies
Views
Sab80
  • Question
Replies
Views
Yeoy
  • Question
Replies
Views