What Are Pleco Species That Will Do Well In Tank Filled With Other Pleco Species?

red81king
Hello,

I want to build a tank with several types of plecos. I currently have L397 (5) and L134(2) and super red bristlenose. They are not all in the same tank.

I am wanting to get more species, but I am out of tanks. And no more room to get more.

I was wondering, what species of plecos are peaceful towards other plecos?

I was wanting to get small species- and my hopeful list is a snowball pleco, zebra pleco, flash pleco, ... please give me your advice. I am aware not to keep species of the same genus together such as the flash and the L397---- because of interbreeding.

So, THanks, Please offer some suggestions as well as other species.

PS I have read that L333 and the L134 can be breed in the same tank. but that was only through forums.

Advertisement
TexasDomer
What size tank were you going to keep them in?

Many plecos can be territorial towards others, so stocking a tank with multiple species of pleco isn't a good idea.

aussieJJDude
Going from above, as long as you have loads of hiding places they be fine.

Advertisement
TexasDomer
Not necessarily. Some need a certain amounts of space for their territory, and adding more hiding places wouldn't necessarily help.

Mcasella
It depends on the pleco themselves, most males will fight over territory and the space for the chance to breed, my male bn and medusa only tolerate other males with loads of space, I have a bn that literally killed three other plecos because of territory (one was male, the other two were only a couple inches so I don't know what sex they were). Most female plecos aren't bad, so if you were able to insure you got just females you likely wouldn't have as much issue with territory.

aussieJJDude
Not necessarily. Some need a certain amounts of space for their territory, and adding more hiding places wouldn't necessarily help.
Having done so in the past, increasing the amount of hiding places - which formed territories as a result, as decor naturally forms boundaries - allows them to choose sites to defend and whatnot...

From my experiences, having multiple breeding colonies and various pleco species togethor I haven't ran into problems, especially with a lot of rock work and wood.

TexasDomer
So it still depends on the species though. Some of the more aggressive ones will defend larger territories and use multiple caves.

aussieJJDude
So it still depends on the species though. Some of the more aggressive ones will defend larger territories and use multiple caves.
Still beg to differ... but no point in arguing. Success of one is failure for another.

Aqua Hands
Pitbull Plecos are very peaceful and actually like to be in group of 6 they get 2" long if I remember correctly. no long than 4"

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
bmuckluck
Replies
Views
Fishcat
Replies
Views
A201
Replies
Views