What are Nano's?

1. Reefdweller Well Known Member Member

I have a question - What exactly are Nano's? I know this may sound silly but I really do not know.

:confused:

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

:animal0068:Here is your new thread.

Thanks again,

Ken

3. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Nanos.jpg Generally speaking a nano is anything very small that can act as was unit independly on its own. This picture is from Wikepedia. A nano could be a nana aquarium or a nano fish. There be some other meaning I am not aware of.... there is plenty of that.:;google

4. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

IMO - a nano tank (for SW) would be 10G and under

5. Reefdweller Well Known Member Member

Hmm that is very interesting. I have heard the term many times but I really was not sure so thanks for the info.

6. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Nanos can be tanks or fish, or both. Ideally a Nano tank for FW is 1gal and under, possibly 2gal. They generally don't have fish. Shrimp and snails are good though. I have a small 1gal cube with soil, gravel, plants, shrimp, clams, leeches and planaria as well as some different snails. Its not cycled, nor heated. I simply top it off.

7. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I'd say 10 gallons and under for FW, 30 gallons and under for salt. As you can see there are plenty of varying opinions on the topic. :)

8. fishman705 Member Member

I agree, my understanding is that a nano reef is anything 30 gallons and under which in my case I'm running a 30 long so I would fall into the nano category.

9. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

In my opinion, a nano tank should only be able to house nano fish(or 1 betta) at the most for freshwater. 10gal is a bit big to be a freshwater nano tank.

10. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

A properly stocked 10 gallon should probably stick to nano fish, IMO. Thus, I consider it a nano tank. You can have a great community of nano fish and inverts in a 10 gallon.

11. Stang Man Well Known Member Member

Nano means a tank under 30 gallons thus only can sustain life under 1/2 inch of fish and should have proper live rock and proper filtration and water movement. Nano tanks are usally small tanks with coral and inverts only and do not house fish of any sort and have proper lighting to care for the corals.

They are more work than a bigger tank such as a 50 or over to maintain and can be a big cost factor to maintain as well. Be very aware of this it could drain your pocket book to make things happen in a tank of this size. I have a 30 and with two fish a maroon clown and a cherub pygmy angel with the proper amount of LR and a sump with a huge skimmer that wil fit to a 150 gallon tank and two pumps that are way over the amount needed and 150 watt Metal Hilide and this is a reef tank that has been going for along time. It all relates to how and what you have for the tank for Nano terms. Lets put it this way with fish the more head aches!!
    If you are starting out then go with a much largher tank if you just want fish 75 gallons or over will do you justice!! And yes needs to have proper equipment and such to be able to handle the load.

Welcome to Fish Lore!!!

12. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

I agree to the general consensus.

10 gallons and smaller is nano to FW tanks.

30 gallons and smaller is nano to SW tanks