40 Gallon Tank What are My Two Fish Doing?

Jkross1123

Can anyone tell me what these two fish are doing? Are they fighting matting? This is the first time I caught this behavior. They normally do not even notice or pay attention to one another.

Thunder_o_b

Courting. Working on the next generation.

StarGirl

Welcome to Fishlore! :)

Wow they are really sucking face! Gotta be a breeding thing!

Jkross1123

Welcome to Fishlore! :)

Wow they are really sucking face! Gotta be a breeding thing!
Thanks! Can different species of fish actually breed?

TClare

Some fish can breed with other related species in aquaria. That is how your blood parrot was created.

The behaviour you are seeing could be courtship but could also be aggression.

Flyfisha

That is a mixture of at least 4 different species of fish. The poor things are both cichlids and both hybrids.

I fear this is not going to end well?
I can’t say if that’s a male and female or not.
Should they actual breed you would have a totally mixed up fish.

At the moment both fish can not use the colours of their natural cichlid grandparents to send any kind of message / body language. The electric blue acara is switched on colour wise permanently for humans enjoyment. The parrot can’t change colour to be submissive ether.

My suggestion is to separate.

Noroomforshoe

Lip locking can be fighting or mating. Those are two different species and it makes me less towards fighting, but you never know, maybe without others of their own kind they just decided to love the one there with. I woul look out for signs of more dangerous aggression!

MacZ

That is a mixture of at least 4 different species of fish. The poor things are both cichlids and both hybrids.
Actually not. Blood parrots are a malformed mutant form, likely not a hybrid. Same goes for the Acara, which are linebred from some mutants.

At the moment both fish can not use the colours of their natural cichlid grandparents to send any kind of message / body language. The electric blue acara is switched on colour wise permanently for humans enjoyment. The parrot can’t change colour to be submissive ether.

My suggestion is to separate.
I agree, separate them.

Lip locking in connection to breeding is usually only seen when one potential partner chases the other away when not interested or if only one partner looks after the spawn, chasing off any other fish. So... basically it's not part of breeding behaviour itself.

Flyfisha

I can only work with what is considered fact in Australia MacZ
I have a couple of hundred electric blue acara that I can not take to auction in any aquarium society in Australia because as far as our rules go they are considered a hybrid. If I am wrong I apologise / apologize Jkross1123. I believe the blood parrot is treated the same in Australia?
image.jpg

MacZ

I can only work with what is considered fact in Australia MacZ
I have a couple of hundred electric blue acara that I can not take to auction in any aquarium society in Australia because as far as our rules go they are considered a hybrid. If I am wrong I apologise / apologize Jkross1123. I believe the blood parrot is treated the same in Australia?
image.jpg
It's a thing of de jure (by law) and de facto, until somebody does a DNA analysis we won't know for sure.
To be blunt: If it was me to decide, I'd prohibit these types of fish. I find both pitiable and "ugly as sin", as they say.

chromedome52

The two fish in the video are clearly fighting at the end of the clip, right after they break off from lip locking. This is aggression, not mating.

Bloody Parrots had DNA tests done very early when they first appeared. The tests were privately financed, and the results were not supposed to be released. However, it leaked that they tested as Amphilophus labiatus, Red Devils, and nothing else. This knowledge is still not widely known or accepted by their enthusiasts. The hobby in general still believes them to be hybrids.

As for the Electric Blue Acara, I have a second hand report from a friend who attended a lecture by someone who claimed to have been part of the experiment that produced them. His claim was that they had hybridized Blue Acara with Powder Blue Rams using artificial insemination, then line bred to get the fish we see today. However, some believe reports that they successfully interbreed with normal Blue Acaras as a simple genetic trait would suggest otherwise. This one is still up in the air, but personally I tend to believe the hybrid story.

TClare

I actually thought that blood parrots were hybrids, but I must admit I never really looked into it that closely, and thinking about it is more realistic that deformed individuals were bred together to create them. I am unconvinced about the acara-ram hybrid theory though. The two species are not very closely related to be able to produce viable offspring, even using artificial insemination. And electric blue varieties of other cichlids have come about by mutation, this would not be too surprising with the blue acara that has a lot of iridescent blue colouration anyway, it would just need a melanistic gene to be turned off or nonexistent. However, I appreciate that the hybrid theory cannot be discounted without a DNA study..

Edit - what about the "polar blue" parrots? Are they bred from deformed convicts?

chromedome52

Polar Blue Parrot/Balloon Convicts are deformed Convicts crossed with Honduran Red Points, which have the blue color. There is currently some disagreement as to whether the HRP is a different species from the standard Convict. There are known "hybrids" between regular Convicts and HRP.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BrandyH312
  • Question
Replies
Views
AggressiveAquatics
Replies
Views
Carpio
Replies