What Are My Tiger And Albino Tigers Doing? Weird Behavior.

1. KaitlynR Member Member

Hi all

I'll keep it short and sweet

I noticed the other day, after a nice hefty water change, my regular tiger barbs were doing this weird thing with my albinos. The tiger would come up and press itself right up against the albino, side by side, almost like they were being squeezed together. They'd all of a sudden start flapping their fins really fast, and then suddenly dart away from each other.

Is this part of them trying to establish pecking order, or something else?

2. Adriifu Member Member

Tiger Barbs can be aggressive toward each other. Nipping is common, but I've never heard of something like this. It almost sounded like a mating ritual, but Tigers don't mate like that. It also sounds like what you said; they may be trying to tell other fish that they should back down. As long as this process isn't too stressful, I'm sure they'll be fine.

3. KaitlynR Member Member

See I thought it was mating ritual too when I first saw it! But I did some research and they don't do that I guess.. Nobody's losing any color over it or hiding so, they seem to be doing fine, regardless :)

4. Adriifu Member Member

That's good. Just keep an eye on them. If anyone gets too stressed out, you may need to start worrying. Make sure to keep us updated! :)

5. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Huh how do they mate then?
    To me it is mating. Females dropping eggs amd male fertilizing them.

6. KaitlynR Member Member

Do you think so? I didn't see any eggs or anything, though.

7. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

I don't think all attempts are succesful.
    To me this is matingbehaviour.

8. KaitlynR Member Member

Well I guess I'll be keeping this in mind, then! Thanks!

9. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

They're notorious egg-eaters btw

10. KaitlynR Member Member

Wondering if thats why I saw them all gathering around a fake plant and nipping at it... lol

11. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Think it is hahahaha. McTigerEgg

12. KaitlynR Member Member

Guess so, lol.

also just did a little research- I guess the male will chase the female around. Egg scatterers. There has been some chasing going on.. More than usual anyway. How curious.

13. chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

The description was classic Barb mating behavior. And seeing the eggs would be difficult if you didn't have your nose almost up against the glass at the right time, they are pretty small. As I recall, the eggs of Tiger Barbs are quite adhesive, so it is likely they were eating eggs stuck to the fake plant.

To save eggs, you have to use bushy plants placed on the bottom. The adults have to be removed after spawning is observed. While it is not impossible, it is very unlikely that any fry would survive in a community situation.

14. KaitlynR Member Member

Okay, thanks! I think I will just let nature run it's course, honestly. I'm not too keen on keeping babies, but if it happens, it happens.

15. Adriifu Member Member

The females release eggs while the males release a trail of sperm to fertilize them.

16. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

mmmmm

17. Adriifu Member Member

My bad. I thought that was how it worked for them. No need for sarcasm, love.

I'm pretty sure I was right, but I left out the part where they chase each other. Sorry for any confusion.

18. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Not meand to be sarcastic !
    Sometimes youtube is a great source.
    I love that hahahaha.

No problem.