What Are My Fish Dying Of

1. Gary1962 Member Member

The last of my original fish from my first aquarium I started last July is now dying.

It was a 40 litre tank. On this forum I learned that I'd been given much misinformation by my LFS and elsewhere online about water changes.

I'd only been changing about 20% every 2-3 weeks. I've been told here that m fish are most likely dieing from the effects of an ammonia spikes. From the pics, would people agree?

Have since started a bigger 90 litre tank. Would people agree that a weekly water change of 50% is best. Or more like 20% weekly?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Aster Well Known Member Member

It's hard to give a definite answer without knowing your tank stocking and parameters. Do you have an API Master Test Kit?

3. oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello Gar...

The build up of waste material in the water is obviously killing the fish. Small tanks require at least 50 percent water changes a couple of times a week. A 10 gallon tank is too small for a beginner. A good starter tank should be at least 20 gallons. 30 gallons (120 liters) is better.

Old

4. Bellatrix Member Member

I know I've not been here long but I have to disagree about smaller tanks.

My dad kept a 30 LTE for years and years with a few small fish in that are actually still alive now in my aunts tank. He changed 4 LTEs a week and a full change once every three months. Never had any illness in the fish.

So saying small tanks for little bitty fish is silly based on what I've seen.