What Are My Fish Dying Of

1. G

Gary1962 Valued Member Member

The last of my original fish from my first aquarium I started last July is now dying.

It was a 40 litre tank. On this forum I learned that I'd been given much misinformation by my LFS and elsewhere online about water changes.

I'd only been changing about 20% every 2-3 weeks. I've been told here that m fish are most likely dieing from the effects of an ammonia spikes. From the pics, would people agree?

Have since started a bigger 90 litre tank. Would people agree that a weekly water change of 50% is best. Or more like 20% weekly?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Aster

Aster Well Known Member Member

It's hard to give a definite answer without knowing your tank stocking and parameters. Do you have an API Master Test Kit?

3. o

oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello Gar...

The build up of waste material in the water is obviously killing the fish. Small tanks require at least 50 percent water changes a couple of times a week. A 10 gallon tank is too small for a beginner. A good starter tank should be at least 20 gallons. 30 gallons (120 liters) is better.

Old

4. Bellatrix

Bellatrix Valued Member Member

I know I've not been here long but I have to disagree about smaller tanks.

My dad kept a 30 LTE for years and years with a few small fish in that are actually still alive now in my aunts tank. He changed 4 LTEs a week and a full change once every three months. Never had any illness in the fish.

So saying small tanks for little bitty fish is silly based on what I've seen.