What Are Good Short Plants?

luckdown
I'm looking for something that'll stay under 4 inches. Any suggestions?

I have Java moss in my main tank that I just split up - waiting for it to grow more before I split it up again for the tanks I need short plants in.

But I kinda want something else anyways.

FriarThomasIII
Dwarf chain swords, hairgrass, dwarf sag, etc. Do you want carpeting plants or like stem plants or something?

86 ssinit
luckdown
I would prefer to do a stem plant but I could change my plans if that wouldn't work.

If there's something that grows longer but I could just cut to stay short without that making it look ugly that could work too. Bonus points if I could do that and get the cut pieces to root.

Oooo dwarf sag looks really pretty

I feel so fail. I'm a florist but I know nothing about aquatic plants xP

FriarThomasIII
I would prefer to do a stem plant but I could change my plans if that wouldn't work.

If there's something that grows longer but I could just cut to stay short without that making it look ugly that could work too. Bonus points if I could do that and get the cut pieces to root.

Oooo dwarf sag looks really pretty

I feel so fail. I'm a florist but I know nothing about aquatic plants xP
Anacharis is a nice stem plant that you can cut and it will still look nice, also you can replant those pieces. Or rotala would look nice. (I have the red rotala variant)

Blitzar
I've said it a thousand times, but crypt parva. It is extremely low maintenance, and I've never seen a dead one.

stella1979
I'm looking at nano plants too these days. I haven't cared for any of these yet but am quite fond of how they look.

Anubias Nana Petite
Crypt Parva
MinI Bolbitis (Baby Leaf)
Lots of different kinds of Bucephelandra

RedLoredAmazon
I have a rosette sword in my tank and it's about 2-3 inches high. I got it at Petsmart in one of the tubes. Very nice plant.

luckdown
Thanks so much everyone!

I found a good deal on some dwarf sag and anubias nana so I grabbed some of those.

Omg minI bolbitis looks so cool!

Most of these little guys are way more expensive than the larger plants ive bought. Gonna have to get them in small batches

Crypt parva looks like something my shrimp would absolutely love. Might have to get some just for them xD

I think I'm gonna grab some anacharis as well.

Hmmm lots more options than I thought there'd be. Gonna be hard not to go overboard with this xD

FriarThomasIII
You can pretty much go nuts when planting plants. Just make sure there is enough light and ferts for them all. Go nuts and have fun! Show us the results.

luckdown
You can pretty much go nuts when planting plants. Just make sure there is enough light and ferts for them all. Go nuts and have fun! Show us the results.
This is good to hear! XD I'll take lots of pictures once my tanks are all set up how I want them :3

I am horrible with aquascaping though - I have no idea what plant is what or where anything should go

RedLoredAmazon
SilisterTrench has a fantastic thread on aquascaping. I highly recommend reading it.

Aquascaping Tips And Tricks

If you're like me, I don't worry about aquascaping too much. I just keep the tall plants in the back and the shorter ones in the front.

FriarThomasIII
This is good to hear! XD I'll take lots of pictures once my tanks are all set up how I want them :3

I am horrible with aquascaping though - I have no idea what plant is what or where anything should go
100%, I'm trash at aquascaping too, but you can always make something really beautiful regardless!

luckdown
This is all finished. Thought it was a bit too heavy but everyone loved it so xD

The rest of the smaller tanks are still being worked on so pictures will come a bit later of those lol

Attachments

• DSC_1558.JPG
    DSC_1558.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC_1557.JPG
    DSC_1557.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC_1556.JPG
    DSC_1556.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC_1555.JPG
    DSC_1555.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 65
Blitzar
I like it! Just be careful, I've heard a couple of horror stories about the Betta Falls tanks...

luckdown
I like it! Just be careful, I've heard a couple of horror stories about the Betta Falls tanks...
Ugh yeah.. I hate this tank. It's horrible. Everyone else is in something better waiting to go into their sorority tank that I'm in the process of setting up. Once they do these guys are getting out of there.

Blitzar
Ugh yeah.. I hate this tank. It's horrible. Everyone else is in something better waiting to go into their sorority tank that I'm in the process of setting up. Once they do these guys are getting out of there.
Awesome! Just want to make sure you don't lose anybody.

luckdown
Awesome! Just want to make sure you don't lose anybody.
The worst that's happen is the first week my boy with the long flowy fins couldn't deal with it and his fins got torn but he's learned and I usually keep the water level low enough so there'st no flow and only add enough water for it to properly filter for at most 4 hours at a time

GrayGray4231
That tank is wayy to small for any fish to be housed in. I reccomed you get a bigger one asap! Here is a link for small plants.

luckdown
That tank is wayy to small for any fish to be housed in. I reccomed you get a bigger one asap! Here is a link for small plants.
small aquarium live plants - Google Search

I'm already aware of this, though I was not when I bought it

GrayGray4231
Ok, as long as you know.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
lalesho
Replies
Views
Mudminnow
Top Bottom