What are good hiding places for baby shrimp?

Marlene327

I have a 10 gallon tank that I've put all my culls into. I had my female guppies in that tank, too, so while there were some babies that survived, it wasn't that many as most surely became lunch for the girls. Now I just have a few new guppy fry in there, so they'll have time to have babies and populate more. I see 2 momma shrimp, one a pure blue I took from a tank where they were dying off, who will have some soon.
This is not a heavily planted tank at all, but I did plant some extra vals in there this week. There's a couple small crypts that haven't spread much yet. I tried to get a hair grass growing but it died off. There is a small stack of 3 tubes and I have a piece of cholla wood - right now boiling another to put in, figured they can hide in that. There is a small patch of java moss there as well, but I see the guppy fry can get way into it looking for food. I'm afraid even a 6 week old fry may be able to eat the new shrimp, they're so small.

Last night I put a male and female guppy in there to breed, trying to save a strain of yellow since I accidentally gave my best male to the LFS last month. I only intend to leave them there 2 days then put them back to their male and female tanks. They should be gone before new baby shrimp come.

Is there any other thing I can add right now that would give them a good hiding area? I'm trying to get creative. I have a lot of small crypts growing in another tank, would they help at all?

Catappa

Java moss is very good; try adding some very fine-leaved plants, like Cabomba (if legal in your area) or Myriophillum. The baby Guppies as well as the shrimp will hide in it. Also, a tiny cave or two or tiny tunnel is a good idea. You can make these using half a (new) unglazed terracotta flower pot (smallest size) or a small, sawed off piece of plastic pipe. File the edges to be sure they are smooth.

Upvote 0

BlackOsprey

Plants. Plants that grow in dense mazelike clumps and masses like java moss and subwassertang, specifically. Not only do they provide an excellent hiding space, they also have a massive surface area for shrimp to graze biofilm on. That means fatter and happier shrimp, more babies surviving to adulthood, and faster growth to a non-edible size.

like this? Shrimp paradise right here.

6z2juhc53gy21.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

Upvote 0

MyFishAddiction

Java moss, guppy grass, other plants like it.

Upvote 0

JettsPapa

In addition to dense plants like recommended above, a pile of small rocks, sized so that the shrimp can get inside but the fish can't, is another good option.

Upvote 0

JLAquatics

Any plant with fine leaves and compact growth should work great for cover in regards to baby shrimp. Another good option for more choices is Pearlweed.

0529210940.jpg
Rocks, wood, and small stones which create sight barriers work very well in addition to what was already said. Sight barriers are key in situations like this. :)

Upvote 0

Marlene327

In addition to dense plants like recommended above, a pile of small rocks, sized so that the shrimp can get inside but the fish can't, is another good option.
I don't have anything I can put in quickly, without ordering more plants. And darn, I already have an order out with the Co-op! Rocks - can any rocks be used, like those found along a stream or in the yard? I guess I don't see why not... I think I could do that if they're okay.
Any plant with fine leaves and compact growth should work great for cover in regards to baby shrimp. Another good option for more choices is Pearlweed.

0529210940.jpg
Rocks, wood, and small stones which create sight barriers work very well in addition to what was already said. Sight barriers are key in situations like this. :)
Thank you! Is that a picture of Pearlweed? I've never heard of that one. :)

Upvote 0

JettsPapa

If they're basic round-ish rocks, then yes, as far as I know they'll be fine. Stay away from limestone rocks. I'm not sure, but I think they might change your pH.

Upvote 0

JLAquatics

Thank you! Is that a picture of Pearlweed? I've never heard of that one. :)
Yes, the picture consist of the Pearlweed carpet I am growing in my 10 gallon aquarium along with some Hydrocotyle Tripartita Japan mixed in. It is a versatile plant which can be used in the foreground, midground, and even the background of smaller aquscapes. It is a truly great plant to have.

Stay away from limestone rocks. I'm not sure, but I think they might change your pH.
Limestone based rocks such as Seiryu Stone will raise pH drastically if your water is comprised of RO water or acidic water low on the pH scale. If the OP already has hard water with a higher pH, Seiryu Stone and the like should not make a noticeable difference in her parameters. I have Seiryu Stone in the tank with my shrimp and everything is well as I had harder water to begin with.

However, if you using natural stones, Marlene, test the desired rocks using the vinegar test and see if they fizz. If they do, it is best to not use them in your aquarium as they will change your water parameters to an unknown value unlike other stones.

Upvote 0

Marlene327

However, if you using natural stones, Marlene, test the desired rocks using the vinegar test and see if they fizz. If they do, it is best to not use them in your aquarium as they will change your water parameters to an unknown value unlike other stones.

We just got 12 tons of topsoil 2 weeks ago for landscaping, and it was sifted. I asked them to dump what was left over into my garden to replace soil. As I've been planting, I've pulled out some decent sized stones that I'm surprised went through their sifter. I doubt if they're limestone but they definitely need a good cleaning. The best option for me - my husband is a rock painter (his retirement hobby!) and gets his rocks from a creek bed along the trail he walks every day. I can have him get me a few different sizes. I've never heard of that vinegar test (really never had a reason to know!) but so interesting, and I'll do that!

----
I have a very high PH, it's always at 7.6 when I test but I'm sure it's over that. I haven't used the High range PH test from the Master Kit but that would probably give me the most honest reading. If I put rocks in there, how long would it take to change PH? Should I check it the next day, or in a week? (MOST) everything is living very well in 4 tanks, I hate to do something to change that. Definitely going to get some kind of spreading carpet plant. I put that into my 40 gallon but most of it died off. What is left is scrawny, and the catfish do nothing to help that. I see pieces of stem plants I lost stuck in my largest crypt plant that the water outtake forced down to it, and am leaving it there, I think it's started to root!

I lost almost all of my red cherry shrimp in my 40 gallon. Saw one last week when I was cleaning algae and he landed on my arm. Wish I could've caught him, haven't seen him since. Lost all but 2 of my blue velvets in my 20 gallon tank, took the 2 I had out and put them with the culls. 1 male, 1 female who is berried. I went through a time when I HAD no time or energy or was in too much pain, when I didn't do WC enough. My nitrates got very high, probably between 40 and 80. I've never seen a 160 color on a test since I was first starting the cycle of my 1st tank. I'm changing water religiously on weekends now and doing small changes through the week, really watching the numbers and it's been staying at 20. (Had to get a new test kit this week again, just for the nitrate test - that's twice now!) My 40 gallon is overstocked so I know I have to continue this. I've planted more, and have a lot of floating plants now (covers maybe 25% of the top at this time) and added a couple cuttings of pothos. I know they're small and it will take time to make a difference. Meanwhile waiting for my planted pothos to send out longer stems I can snip and add more of.

Would that very high nitrate level have killed off my shrimp? There was no white band on any of them. I really saw nothing, they just went from 12 to 2 so fast, if I saw them at all, the Amanos were eating them. And THEY have been very healthy through it all. (Are they that much stronger, to survive when the others can't??) I've had the cherries for well over a year, bought 6 once and 6 later and they multiplied when my fish didn't find the young, hence my cull tank. I feel bad that I wasn't able to care for the tank for a couple months, but I could barely walk for awhile. This is why I'm getting a new knee on the 22nd. Hubby knows how to siphon water, I'll make sure he does at least partial changes once or twice a week for me, he's been pretty good about helping me carry water lately when I had bad days. I hate asking much of him, he has his own health issue going on.

As for a Python, it's out of the question, I tried one before and there's no way to make it fit our sink spigot. I was glad they let me return it, but I bought it knowing they would.

I know this is a lot. If someone wants to PM me with some guidance, I'd appreciate it. When I'm doing better, I haves one extra 10 gallon tank with all the accessories, and I think I'd love to aquascape it and move my shrimp to it. Seeing the pictures you all post of your tanks gives me a lot of incentive!

Upvote 0

Marlene327

Today in the mail I received 2 Micro sword plants and 2 Water Sprites. They were to go into my 40 gallon but after reading about the micro sword, it will spread and carpet... so it's going into the shrimp tank!

Upvote 0

Kevinthebreeder

Plants. Plants that grow in dense mazelike clumps and masses like java moss and subwassertang, specifically. Not only do they provide an excellent hiding space, they also have a massive surface area for shrimp to graze biofilm on. That means fatter and happier shrimp, more babies surviving to adulthood, and faster growth to a non-edible size.

like this? Shrimp paradise right here.

6z2juhc53gy21.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg
How do you gravel vac it ?

Upvote 0

Marlene327

I'm not sure how people do that, except to get down into the grass and stir it up and vac from the grasses. But in a shrimp tank I'd be afraid of losing babies that way. Good question.

Upvote 0

JettsPapa

I rarely gravel vac at all, even in the open places that aren't densely planted.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
ROFEA
Replies
Views
Mandarabe
  • Question
Replies
Views