Question What Are Good Fish To Breed

pagoda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cories tend to reproduce like rabbits.....to the extent that you'll be begging for contraception for them

Mine started at 4 and now over 20....in 4 months

kellylovesfish

Reaction score
Cories tend to reproduce like rabbits.....to the extent that you'll be begging for contraception for them

Mine started at 4 and now over 20....in 4 months
Wow that's crazy haha how big do they have to get before they can start spawning?

pagoda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well....I got my 4 Bronze Cory in May this year and they were about 75% their adult size. Within a week they were throwing their caviar everywhere and a short time after that, little wigglers appeared from under the plants and wood

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Another great and easy fish that aren't livebearers that you can consider breeding are convict cichlids.

kellylovesfish

Reaction score
Well....I got my 4 Bronze Cory in May this year and they were about 75% their adult size. Within a week they were throwing their caviar everywhere and a short time after that, little wigglers appeared from under the plants and wood
Ohh are there any fish that I can put the fry with or is it better to just leave the fry in a separate tank

Another great and easy fish that aren't livebearers that you can consider breeding are convict cichlids.
Alright do the parents eat the fry when they hatch?

Last edited by a moderator:

pagoda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ohh are there any fish that I can put the fry with or is it better to just leave the fry in a separate tank
I leave the babies in the aquarium with the other fish since so much caviar gets thrown onto the glass, plants and under the gravel etc.....the other fish ignore them and even when newly hatched they can swim extremely fast and escape under a plant if another fish gets too close

kellylovesfish

Reaction score
I leave the babies in the aquarium with the other fish since so much caviar gets thrown onto the glass, plants and under the gravel etc.....the other fish ignore them and even when newly hatched they can swim extremely fast and escape under a plant if another fish gets too close
Oh I see thank you :3

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Alright do the parents eat the fry when they hatch?
Nope! They actually take care of their frys!

NOTE: They will eat their spawns a few times if they're new to parenthood, but other than that, they won't eat them if they got used to it.

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Alright then I'll seperate them to be safe
I generally wouldn't. That would cause a lot of stress for the fish. I would just let the parents do their thing until they get used to the whole parenthood.

Jimmie93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Guppies is actually one of the easiest and best fish to breed for profit you just need to buy a good strain and not mix/breed randoms.
But that also goes with any Livebearers such as Platys, Mollies, Swordtail. Ebay is a decent place to get good breeds you can get a good trio for $20-$40.

Truckjohn

Valued Member
Reaction score
One thing I would do before breeding is spend time at the local pet stores... Figure out what is always out of stock and what always disappears the day after it shows up...

For example - spotty corys like false julii and sterbai are always gone the day after they show up.... Green and panda corys seem to hang around a lot longer.... So... If I was going to breed them - I would do the spotty ones just because I know there is theoretically a demand for my extra fish.

And I would stay away from stuff that doesn't seem to move out of the local fish stores.... Like black mollies and plain orange/red sword tails around here... Every fish store is basically always full up.... Theoretically it will be more difficult to get rid of extra fish....

Marijn Lange

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you’re planning on selling to a local fish store, ask them first If they buy them! My local fish store doesn’t buy fish that people breed.

Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • No

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 54 66.7%

Top Bottom