What Are All The Fish That Could Live In A 55 Gal

BettaFishKeeper4302

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So i have inspired my friend to get in the hobby but i need some help. I have already done all the research i can and found nothing. My friend only wants one big fish for a 55 gallon fish tank he is getting. Just one big fish. Anyone got a fish in mind?

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
A large fancy goldfish? They usually need 20g+ for the smaller varieties but a large goldfish would fit perfectly in a 55g

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
An oscar would be a great big fish to have. If I didn't already have two 40 gallon breeders with rat snakes, a 20 gallon with geckos, a 10 gallon with crabs, a 10 gallon with a frog, a 5 gallon with a betta, and a massive sugar glider cage all housed in the room I share with my boyfriend --- I would definitely set a tank up for a single oacar.

MWR

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Paratilapia Bleekeri. I have four Oscars and one Bleekeri - wish I had five Bleekeri and no Oscars!

BHK3

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Anything in particular they want in a fish? I like the blood parrot idea. Or goldfish. Or a really cool big non-oscar cichlid. Or maybe a really nice big angelfish?

HORNET1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I would go with the biggest pearlscale koi angelfish I could find from a reputable breeder.
I did that years ago with a heavily planted 75g.
That angel was a huge fish and huge hit with everyone who saw him.
img_caring_for_angelfish_303_600.jpg

BettaFishKeeper4302

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Anything in particular they want in a fish? I like the blood parrot idea. Or goldfish. Or a really cool big non-oscar cichlid. Or maybe a really nice big angelfish?
Well at first he wanted to put like a baby red fish in it and i was like you cannot do that with that small of a tank and i dont think you can do that anyway.

BHK3

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would go with the biggest pearlscale koi angelfish I could find from a reputable breeder.
I did that years ago with a heavily planted 75g.
That angel was a huge fish and huge hit with everyone who saw him.
img_caring_for_angelfish_303_600.jpg
Yes!!! That would be awesome.

BettaFishKeeper4302

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So i have inspired ny friend to get in the hobby as i said in my last post. He is getting a 55 gallon tank. He wants kind of bug fish. List below

X2 bluegill
X1 goldfish (not sure of kind yet)
X1 pleco
Maybe one more fish

I wont't be surprised if bluegill will be an issue.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Most sunfish species will get too large for a 55 gallon. I've heard the minimum for bluegill at 75 gallons.

Goldfish won't do well with bluegill, as sunfish tend to be territorial and aggressive. Goldfish will also eat most live plants (assuming he wanted them).

The pleco, and I'm assuming he means a common, can grow into a 2' long monster that would reuire at least 150 gallons.

Unless your friend has the space for 150+ gallon tank, he needs to look at smaller fish. The only fish on that list that can live in a 55 is a goldfish, and even then, only the fancy varieties.

BettaFishKeeper4302

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Pleco gets up to 8 to 12 inches. I can understand the bluegill issue. It wont be a fancy gold fish though as he would only be able to have 1

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
55g is really made for smaller species and community fish. Perhaps something with schooling fish and maybe a medium size fish that doesn't grow more than 3-5 inches.

I scratch the pleco.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Pleco gets up to 8 to 12 inches. I can understand the bluegill issue. It wont be a fancy gold fish though as he would only be able to have 1
Which variety of pleco is it?

Common, commet, and shubunkin goldfish need to live in ponds, and will quickly outgrow a 55 gallon.

BettaFishKeeper4302

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What are all the freshwater fish that could live in a 55 gallon with other fish? I have a general idea but still would like to hear from others because i don't know every fish that could live in a 55 gallon.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom