What aquascaping/pruning scissors are people using?

WRWAquarium

Hi

Couldn't find a thread where this has been discussed so just putting the question out there.

What style/brand scissors do you all use for pruning plants?

I see allot of different options, long handled, short handled. Spring loaded handles, normal action. Curve blades, straight blades.

Ive had some cheap ones before and they got rust on and fell apart so will be happy to pay more and get somthing by a better brand such as fluval or tropica.

My tank is 2ft deep but I would rather get my arm wet and do an accurate cut with short scissors if they are better than long ones.

StarGirl

Mine are Aquavitro brand. IDK thats what they had at my lfs. They work good and are not rusting. Ive had them a few years now.

WRWAquarium

Oh thanks, I see those on ebay so will have a bit of a gander. :)

Do you have straight or curved ones?

Never had so much plant growth to need decent ones before.

ruud

Long handled, curved blades. Long are just as easy to manage as short ones, but with the advantage that you can reach spots where your hand is unable to.

No idea what brand it is.

AP1

Can't afford real aquascaping scissors and so picked up what I think were cuticle scissors from the cosmetics aisle at the pharmacy for a few bucks. Not without risk (as it is theoretically possible for grease used in scissors to be toxic), but have worked well so far (I think mine were not greased and they appear to be metal only)!

StarGirl

Oh thanks, I see those on ebay so will have a bit of a gander. :)

Do you have straight or curved ones?

Never had so much plant growth to need decent ones before.
Long straight. I never could figure out why the curved ones?

ruud

Long straight. I never could figure out why the curved ones?

Once you have a curved ones, you never go back to a straight ;)
I believe they are manufactured for carpets, but they are handy for any plant.
That said, it is no big deal. But definitely go for a long one.

WRWAquarium

Can't afford real aquascaping scissors and so picked up what I think were cuticle scissors from the cosmetics aisle at the pharmacy for a few bucks. Not without risk (as it is theoretically possible for grease used in scissors to be toxic), but have worked well so far (I think mine were not greased and they appear to be metal only)!

Well I'm same really. I've been using some standard paper scissors that I've left sterilised in boiling water.

Ahh thanks ruud I wondered why curved and that makes sense for getting low carpet plants. I don't have a carpet but I suppose some plants are low and in tight spots.

Cue

I use the Aquarium Co-Op scissors, but I would generally use any curved steel/stainless steel/aluminum scissors I could get my hands on

Leeman75

I bought a scaping kit from Amazon for $13.99 a few years ago and it's been just what I needed. I can't seem to copy the url to paste here, but here is the title of it:

Capetsma Aquascape Tools, Long Stainless Steel Aquarium Plant Tools Aquarium Tweezers Scissors Spatula Tool Set Bonsai Kit Algae Scrapers Aquarium Cleaning Kit for Fish Tank Starter kit​

Sauceboat

I bought a scaping kit from Amazon for $13.99 a few years ago and it's been just what I needed. I can't seem to copy the url to paste here, but here is the title of it:

Capetsma Aquascape Tools, Long Stainless Steel Aquarium Plant Tools Aquarium Tweezers Scissors Spatula Tool Set Bonsai Kit Algae Scrapers Aquarium Cleaning Kit for Fish Tank Starter kit​

I have a very similar one from Amazon, only LIVEEK brand— absolutely love the scissors and tweezers, have used all of them daily for two years and the scissors are still sharp.

WRWAquarium

Thanks for all suggestions. Still lot of options but will make up my mind soon haha

LoveTetraGlow

Hi

Couldn't find a thread where this has been discussed so just putting the question out there.

What style/brand scissors do you all use for pruning plants?

I see allot of different options, long handled, short handled. Spring loaded handles, normal action. Curve blades, straight blades.

Ive had some cheap ones before and they got rust on and fell apart so will be happy to pay more and get somthing by a better brand such as fluval or tropica.

My tank is 2ft deep but I would rather get my arm wet and do an accurate cut with short scissors if they are better than long ones.
Hello, I just bought a set by Capetsma on Amazon. $14. The long handles especially the tweezers are good for when you want to insert fertilizer tabs. Doesn't disturb the water and roots. As for cutting, yes, I agree having a better grip on the scissor is important. You can use the tweezer to secure the part you want to cut. Anyhow, lotsa things you can do with this very inexpensive.

Attachments

• 1Amazon_Capetsma.png
    1Amazon_Capetsma.png
    141.9 KB · Views: 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
escapay

New Aquarium Equipment Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom