What am i?

BatGrl3

Bought this at my LFS and I could swear it was (or I asked for) Java fern but the more I researched I think this is Amazon sword. Can anybody help me out? Bonus points if you can point me in the direction of if I can plant this in gravel. Thanks all!

PS: don't mind my photo bombers haha. If I tried to take a picture of them, they won't come near the camera.

Attachments

• 20210617_105413.jpg
    20210617_105413.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 20210617_105356.jpg
    20210617_105356.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 20210617_105352.jpg
    20210617_105352.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 25

carsonsgjs

Yep, amazon sword. Plant it in the substrate.

Upvote 0

BatGrl3

So I was right?!?! I couldn't figure out why the Java fern i thought I had didn't match the descriptions online. I'm a very new newbie to plants. Hoping I dont kill it.

Upvote 0

carsonsgjs

So I was right?!?! I couldn't figure out why the Java fern i thought I had didn't match the descriptions online. I'm a very new newbie to plants. Hoping I dont kill it.
You were indeed. I had a few swords in plain old gravel once upon a time - no plant substrate, co2 or ferts and they grew that big that i had to remove them. Will probably appreciate the occasional root tab for nice growth though.

Upvote 0

BatGrl3

You were indeed. I had a few swords in plain old gravel once upon a time - no plant substrate, co2 or ferts and they grew that big that i had to remove them. Will probably appreciate the occasional root tab for nice growth though.

I bought some Fluval Flourish because I am trying to improve my wet green thumb. I will pick up some root tabs (ummm how do you install those)

Upvote 0

carsonsgjs

I bought some Fluval Flourish because I am trying to improve my wet green thumb. I will pick up some root tabs (ummm how do you install those)
Do you mean seachem flourish?

root tabs just go into your substrate around your plants and are water soluble - substrate feeding plants like swords will then absorb the nutrients released by them through their roots. I don’t have any particular recommendations on which ones are best though so hopefully others will be able to share some tips.

Upvote 0

BatGrl3

Do you mean seachem flourish?

root tabs just go into your substrate around your plants and are water soluble - substrate feeding plants like swords will then absorb the nutrients released by them through their roots. I don’t have any particular recommendations on which ones are best though so hopefully others will be able to share some tips.

Follow up question.... now I need more gravel as my Amazon sword keeps floating and won't stay planted. Any suggestions on how to had more gravel? Should I just rinse and pour it in carefully?

Upvote 0

carsonsgjs

Follow up question.... now I need more gravel as my Amazon sword keeps floating and won't stay planted. Any suggestions on how to had more gravel? Should I just rinse and pour it in carefully?
Sure. Give it a good rinse (i use an old sieve for washing gravel) and you can just take handfuls and place it where you need it.

Upvote 0

86 ssinit

Yes just rinse and pour. Or you can move gravel from another part of the tank to cover the roots.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Taydee
  • Question
Replies
Views
Static823
Replies
Views
FluffyChicken