What am I doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeganD

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have a 10g tank, up and running for about 2.5-3 months. I "think" I finished my cycle about 3wks-1mo ago. The tank houses 2 large goldfish, 2 small aquatic frogs, 3 mollies, a snail, and "I think" a plecto. I do about 50% water changes at least 1x a week. I use Tetra Aqua Safe, occassional stress zyme, and Tetra Easy balance with changes. I feed flakes, tadpole bites by HBH, and the occassional cucumber slice. I've tried alge tablets, but they really turned the water green, so I stopped using them. I am running 2 filters sized 5-15gal and do not change the filters or media so that I do not loose my bb, I only swish the filters in the used water after a water change. My readings are 0 ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 15 Nitrate. ph is 7.6. Water temp is 77. I have very hard water (150ppm) with moderate alkalinity of 80ppm. I have a couple pics of the tank, but the site isn't letting me upload them.

Why is my water so filthy looking??? HELP PLEASE! Thanks! Megan

Flufeeh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Everything is fine except your stocking.

I am no professional but I can tell you that you are severely overstocked. Goldfish are especially dirty fish. You need 20 gallons for just 1 goldfish and nothing else, and then another 10 gallons for extra ones.

The Pleco, if that's what you have, also needs at the very least a 55 gallon.

https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-Pleco.htm
https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-Goldfish.htm

Without the goldfish and pleco I think you'd be more than fine. You can either upgrade to a larger tank or return some of the dirtier and bigger fish like the pleco and goldfishes.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The tank houses 2 large goldfish, 2 small aquatic frogs, 3 mollies, a snail, and "I think" a plecto.
occassional stress zyme
May be what is wrong... No way can a 10g hold your stock.

And some people have had trouble maintaining a tank's cycle using Stresszyme. In a properly cycled tank, no bacteria boosters are necessary.

I would suggest you go to the main FL page. On the right is a list of fish. if you click the links, it takes you to the fish profiles, which tell you about minimum tank requirements, etc. You should always research your fish before you buy.

Welcome to FL.

Prince Powder

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Unfortunately the most likely reason for your water is that your tank is very overstocked. Other than the snail and frogs all of your fish require much larger tanks. With all of those fish in such a small tank you will not be able to keep it clean or cycled as you will have constant problems with excessive waste as well as excessive ammonia. Fancy type goldfish require a bare minimum of 20 gallons for the first and an additional 10 gallons for each goldie after that. Single tail goldies like feeder fish need even more space than that. Goldfish also have different temperature requirements so it is generally not recommended they be kept with more tropical fish like mollies or plecos. Plecos, depending on the species can require anything from at least a 20 gallon to upwards of a 75 gallon tank. Mollies also need much larger tanks as they grow to be 4 inches or more. Not to mention all of the above species are very high waste producers. I'm afraid the only way to stabilize your tank would be to rehome most of the fish and/or get a much larger tank.

Sorry I for got to welcome you to Fishlore! As for the photos, try resizing them. Most often the pictures are too large so if you downsize them a bit you should be able to upload them.

Last edited:

steveredlakefallsmn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i would have to agree,to many fish.and the gold fish,seem to big and to many,gold fish are a very dirty fish,great looking but a little on the dirty side.i would put them in a seperate tank.but that is only my opinion,good luck!, and WELCOME to fish lore.

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome Megan, I haven't seen you here before.

I'd have to agree with the posts above....you are or will be way overstocked ("will be" means...if you currently have baby fish and you are planning to expand soon on tank size). The fish you have and sizes are fouling your water more than the filter bioload can handle.

Those number of fish will unfortuneatly stunt in their growth and will cause water parameter problems in keeping the amonia levels down and the other parameters.

Sorry I had to say that, this hobby is so much fun, and we probably all started out over stocked!!!..lol The first tank we get, usually has every fish we ever wanted in it!! When you are stocking a tank...please research what the max size is of the fish you are getting is...sometimes it can be quite a surprise!!!

Maybe you need tank #2 now!!! or possibly return some of the fish to your fish store. Plecos and Goldfish are big time poopers!!!

BritJo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think everyone said what I would have. The water is dirty because you have a pleco and goldfish in a small tank. They are poop machines. You are definitely doing the best you can w/ those guys in there, but they really need a bigger tank.

MeganD

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thank you everyone for the replies! I was afraid of being overstocked. This is my 6yo son's tank and I do not have the extra $$ right now to get another one - so I think that I will just have to baby it until I can afford to get another one. Taking some back to the pet store is not an option b/c these are "his" fish - even tho I'm the only one doing any of the maintenence!! Lol! Thanks again! Megan :)

MeganD

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Stress zyme advertises that it clears your water. DON'T LISTEN! It really doesn't work.
So can I stop using this product completely? Is there any other benefit of it, if I'm using the easy balance and the aqua safe?

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi Megan welcome to FishLore!!

If you want to post pictures, you might have to re-size the photos.

The only thing I can really add is to step up the water changes (minus the strezz zyme and easy balance)

Check Craig's List and Freecycle.org. You can get an awesome deal or perhaps a free tank.
Sadly, your son's fish might not make it if something isn't done soon to separate them.
Good luck!

Edit: While I was typing, I see you got a pic up!

Cory-crazy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Nice tank

unfortunately i agree with the others,2 goldfish & the plec needs to go,they will get far to big for your tank and will cause water quality issues the more they grow.
Plus goldfish are coldwater fish not tropical.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Taking some back to the pet store is not an option b/c these are "his" fish - even tho I'm the only one doing any of the maintenence!! Lol! Thanks again! Megan :)
Okay, I'm reeeeeally sorry I'm about to do the whole high-horse lecture thing, but here goes...

I think as a parent (mine are 5 and 2), it is our job to teach our kids responsibility. And part of that responsibility is to teach them appropriate respect for life. This is an opportunity for you to teach your son that sometimes, we do what is right for our pets, even if it isn't what we want.

Swimming in an ammonia-filled tank is swimming in poison for fish. Exposure to ammonia burns their gills, making it difficult for them to breathe. It causes internal damage to their organs, makes them stressed and susceptible to disease, and will eventually kill them. A goldfish can live 10-20 years in an appropriate home. We think of goldfish as disposable, but we shouldn't.

With the bioload that your fish have, you will always have a build-up of ammonia. It will get worse as the fish get older.

I urge you to reconsider. Sometimes, you can get great deals on larger tanks on Craigslist, or even on Freecycle. If it just isn't in the budget, please find new homes for your fish and get ones that are appropriate for your tank. We'd be happy to suggest what will work!

Okay, off my soap box.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Meenu, well done.

Megan..... I'm sure you wouldn't keep a St Bernard dog in a crate meant for a toy poodle, just because it was your son's dog.

If you do the right thing for these fish, you and your son can enjoy the tank for years to come. If not, it could be a hard lesson for him when the fish all die from ammonia poisoning or stunted growth.

I found my 30 gallon tank on www.freecycle.com for absolutely free. I just had to drive about 5 miles to pick it up.

ristin

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
MeganD

I feel your pain.

My 3 yr old son was given an established 20g tank with 3 goldfish, a pleco and a loach, by some friends who were moving away and couldn't take the tank. I was against it, but over ruled by my wife and son. After about 2 weeks, they both lost interest and the job of care taking passed to me; the guy with no clue about fish and no interest in fish. Lemme just say, this is an addiction and it's to easy to get attached to the little guys. I found this site and discovered I was way overstocked and making just about every mistake a person could make. I immediately got my water parameters under control and started weekly gravel vacs, water changes, etc. I to was unable to afford a bigger tank right away. I thought I could maintain the 20 g in a healthy way for the fish, but it's really a losing battle. Yes, my water parameters were excellent, but there just wasn't enough room in the tank. I was about to get rid of some fish, but scored a screaming deal on a 75g tank. I was amazed how much better the fish looked in the new tank and how much their activity levels increased.
Now, much to my wife's annoyance, I have the 75g in the living room and just set the 20g up in the kitchen. Not sure what I'm going to put in the 20g yet, but.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom