What am I doing wrong?

1. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

I am having some problems with my first spawn mostly, I don't know if there is anything wrong with the secong yet or not. For my first, I went with a red vt and a cambodian vt. The babies are 7 weeks old now and still very small. At first, there was some confusion on my part about the food they needed, but once I got my cultures, they have been eating like pigs. I do a 25-50% wc every day while I clean out the bottom of the tank. From what I have seen though, they are still very small and show little or no color. They are eating a combo of microworms, bbs, first bites, and crushed betta flakes. As of today, the biggest of them is still under an inch long. I have to admit I am pretty bummed out and feeling a little like a failure tonight.

Here are some pics of the first spawn taken tonight. I will continue in next post on the second spawn.

Attached Files:

2. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

IMO you arent doing anything wrong. Maybe that's their color???

3. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

The second spawn hatched out on the 12th of november. The parents are both crowntail, male is Galileo (blue/red) and female is Asteria (green/blue)They have had microworms from the 3rd day and bbs mixed in after the first week. They got 1/2 gallon fresh water daily til the tank was full then I started the 25-50% wc daily. They seem much fatter than the first spawn, and some are already starting to darken up. Are they growing right? These are some of tonights pics of the second spawn. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

4. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

I was curious about whether or not that might be their color (first batch) but from what I have read, they should be much bigger...shouldn't they? One site I was reading on stated that by 7-8 weeks they should be over an inch long. They might be half that now.

5. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry I don't know. :( I hope they're all okay. We need MM to the rescue!

6. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

aww they are adorable!!! and i also dont think its anything you have done..it probably has more to do with the quality line of the parents....are these rescued parents or from a reputable breeder?

7. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

The first spawn were rescuee's. Before committing the time and money for real qood quality breeders, I wanted to be sure I was capable of not only breeding betta but still enjoying it. I have the enjoy part down great...even when I am covered in pooey fish water I am loving it! The second pair are too, but I hope after seeing such great examples of what a good fish looks like that I will better luck geneticaly. The third spawn I am planning for a few weeks from now will be Saturn (in sig) and Pandora, my imported female. There are the parents of spawn #2 The female healed remarkably well and has turned a nice metallic green with blue.

Attached Files:

8. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

Shawnie, I am also looking at a cellophane hm pair...how do I know if I am getting good stock or not?

9. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

again i think the parents genes have a ton to do with the quality of the fry......good luck with them!

EDIT: send MM a pm about finding some quality parents...im not a breeder as ive not the means to do so, but she does....if you are spending the money to breed now, you would benefit from having quality parents to do so IMO ...

10. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

I will definitely do that! Thanks! I am absolutely ready for some quality stock and would love to buy a few from MM, I love the marbles and hers are to die for!

11. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

I think you've done wonderfully! They are darling babies. I think spawn 1 is adorable and spawn 2 look like happy little babies. Maybe you've just got a lot of girls? They are smaller than boys. :)

12. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

Hmmmm...I hadn't thought of that..There are a couple from the first spawn that are bigger than all the others but for the most part they are all the same size...I wonder if I DO just have a bunch of girls...

13. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

The cellophane pair are siblings from a breeder. I went ahead and bid on them and won the auction this morning...they should be on their way to me tomorrow! I also have a bid in on a sibling pair of crowntails...

14. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Sounds like you're really getting into it :)
    MM would definitely be the person to talk to about fry care as far as i know.
    Good Luck.

15. Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

The 1st spawn looks fine to me....You bred a cambo female so don't expect any color but light bodied......As far as the 2nd spawn....It looks like you may be overfeeding them and will most likely have problems with SBD.....

I have some stuff on aquabid right now if you are serious the mustard gas trio is UNREAL!...I also have a marble male on e-bay that is one of the best fish I have ever bred...He's not cheap though lol...My e bay name is Misemeraldeyes.....

Hope this helps....

16. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

:;ot OH jeeze MM. I didn't know eBay sold live fish. You just went on my saved sellers list. Those platinum pastel halfmoons...:;perfect

17. Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

One more thing...I have found genetics play a huge role in fry development..The conditioning of the parents from birth plays a part in the outcome of the fry.....This is why it is important to purchase from a breeder ....Each generation I breed is better than the last......If you are serious about this you will want to lay down a rock solid foundation on a line you trust......

18. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

EXACTLY what i said but you worded it better!

19. Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

:;toast Mother Goose :;toast GMTA :;hi2 And don't you dare look at that marble on E-bay lol....

20. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

huge_smiley_with_tongue_out.gif