Question What Am I Doing Wrong?

Jenay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Attached below, is a picture of my test jar of sand. (Also attached is a picture of the type.)

I knew that I'd need to rinse the sand before using, so I poured sand through the water, stirred it around, and let it settle. A LOT floated to the top.

I expected sand to sink. All if it. I thought there'd be a layer of dust that I'd pour out, and repeat a couple times.

I'm on day 5 of working my way through a 5 lb bag of this stuff, and even in my "final rinse" bucket, I'm still getting a significant amount of floating sand. I'm skimming with paper towels, trying to get this film of superfine dust/particles/sand out of there, hoping I can finally get my tank started cycling.

I thought I'd be setting it up yesterday, and it's still looking like it's going to take another day or two of stirring, settling, skming, draining... before I can finally work on the new tank.

Is there a better way to do this? I need the sand in order to "seal" the soil. Unfortunately, if the sand just floats up, it's not going to serve it's purpose.
IMG_20190914_120305131.jpg
Screenshot_20190914-122846.jpg

Crimson_687

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
For my sand, I put all of it in a cloth bag for rinsing. It’s soo much easier because the small particles become separated from the large ones, and when you drain it the grains don’t travel with the water. Grains that float may sink as the air in them is released, but if they don’t sink you can just scoop them out with a net

Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 2 18.2%

Top Bottom