What am I doing wrong? lost 2 cherry barbs overnight

Adam510

Why did I just lose 2 cherry barbs over night it seems? With bodies completely gone? I have a betta so I’m assuming he ate them but idk it seems weird that both whole bodies are gone… also why does my tank get so dirty so fast? I’m new to having an aquarium and I’m trying my best please help me with suggestions on how to run a simple 10 gallon community tank. Please and thank you

WRWAquarium

Hi there.

Can you fill in the emergency template?

That will help people find any problems.

Few questions off the bat... Is the tank cycled and how long has tank been running? Can you test the water? You may need to up your water change percentage or frequency.

Regarding the tank getting dirty fast. What kind of filter are you running?

Hope you get help.

otterblue

Maybe they jumped out?
It would be odd for an entire fish to be gone, let alone 2, unless the betta could swallow it whole.

Basil

Yes please fill out the emergency template that is linked above.
How many cherry barbs do you have in the 10 g?
And as far as the tank being dirty, do you mean mulm on the bottom? Or is it diatoms that occur if the tank is fairly new?

Adam510

Hi there.

Can you fill in the emergency template?

That will help people find any problems.

Few questions off the bat... Is the tank cycled and how long has tank been running? Can you test the water? You may need to up your water change percentage or frequency.

Regarding the tank getting dirty fast. What kind of filter are you running?

Hope you get help.
Okay I will fill that out, and no it’s not I’m new to all this and haven’t been cycling it or doing water changes because honestly I don’t know how, I have been putting in a waste management supplement but I guess it doesn’t do anything. And I’m not sure it’s just the filter the tank came with, top fin cn-s
Maybe they jumped out?
It would be odd for an entire fish to be gone, let alone 2, unless the betta could swallow it whole.
There’s a lid, and idk I’m so confused honestly like I checked everywhere and there’s 0 sign of them
Yes please fill out the emergency template that is linked above.
How many cherry barbs do you have in the 10 g?
And as far as the tank being dirty, do you mean mulm on the bottom? Or is it diatoms that occur if the tank is fairly new?
I only had 3 (I know that’s bad but didn’t know till after because the lady at petsmart told me that was good enough) and by dirty I mean a lot of waste in the bottom so whenever something is moved it flies around the tank, and the 1 fake plant I’ve had in the tank for a month has really started to turn brownish, and the sides of the tank turning greenish

WRWAquarium

OK it's good you have a filter that is the most important thing. I would say if you haven't done water changes then it's no wonder you have a build up of detritus. You can siphon that out from the gravel or sand.

You really need to test your water. I suspect that is the reason your fish died. Regarding the cycle if you say its had fish in and running for a month? Then it may be cycled allready.

It's OK to make beginner mistakes, we've all been there.

Adam510

OK it's good you have a filter that is the most important thing. I would say if you haven't done water changes then it's no wonder you have a build up of detritus.

You really need to test your water. I suspect that is the reason your fish died. Regarding the cycle if you say its had fish in and running for a month? Then it may be cycled allready.

It's OK to make beginner mistakes, we've all been there.
Oh okay how should I do a water change? And how does that get all the fish poo out of the gravel? And okay ya I’ve had this tank for probably 4-5 months but I just restarted the cycle about a month ago because I got new fish and I did a full clean of the tank because it was dirty but I don’t think I should’ve done that. My fish were all good before, I’ve had some pass but i assumed it wasn’t my fault and just bad luck with the fish, but these 2 cherry barbs dying are the cherry on top as to me thinking I’m doing this completely wrong. And yes I am definitely a beginner, I’m only 18 and never had any experience with this stuff before.

WRWAquarium

Do you have a siphon hose to suck out the poop from the bottom? If not then stir it up a little into the water and then use a jug or somthing to take out diety water. I use a 20l tub to empty water into and fill with clean from tap. Make sure to dechlorinate the water and get it roughly the same temp as the tank before adding.

As a beginner I think most important thing to understand is the nitrogen cycle. You will get there. This forum has all the help and info you need :)

Adam510

Do you have a siphon hose to suck out the poop from the bottom? If not then stir it up a little into the water and then use a jug or somthing to take out diety water. I use a 20l tub to empty water into and fill with clean from tap. Make sure to dechlorinate the water and get it roughly the same temp as the tank before adding.

As a beginner I think most important thing to understand is the nitrogen cycle. You will get there. This forum has all the help and info you need :)
I don’t, do you think I could use a net and stir it up and use to scoop it out with? If not I’ll use a jug. Before doing this should I take all the fish out? And okay I’ll look into that. Also should I be mad at myself for having these fish die? I feel terrible all I want to is have fish because I find them so cool and fascinating to see the different kinds and how they act and now there dead and I only have 1 cherry barb left.

I just did a 50% water change, took out a big fake plant I had that was really dirty. I wiped the glass down and stir up the bottom and scooped out as much of the fish poo and debris as possible. Should I make my fish tank all live plants? And feed them less? And do water changes bi weekly?

WRWAquarium

OK cool. Did you leave the fish in? There's no need to take them out for a water change. Live plants are better yes. Feed once a day is enough.

50% water change per week works for me but its dependent on your nitrates

Adam510

OK cool. Did you leave the fish in? There's no need to take them out for a water change. Live plants are better yes. Feed once a day is enough.

50% water change per week works for me but its dependent on your nitrates
Okay yes I kept the fish in, and I found no trace of the missing barbs… dont know what I’ll do with the one I have left. And okay I’ll just keep doing changes similar to the one I just did each week

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Adam510
  • Question
Replies
Views
Shambhalaubie
Replies
Views
FreshWaterFishEnthusiast
Replies