What am I doing wrong? Cloudy water for 6 months.

1. apaugh Member Member

I have had my tank set up since January. I really didn't get great advice when I started and my tank didn't fully cycle when I started to add fish.
    I have not been able to get clear water at all. Somehow, I've managed to keep all of my fish alive. I recently had to change my floss filter because a fly laid eggs in it. Needless to say, this process had been difficult and I'm almost ready to give up. I love my fish, but I can't stand to look at the cloudy water in my living space. Any suggestions? I've been doing constant water changes and I'm not getting anywhere. Help!!

2. Airth Member Member

My only guess would be that it's a bacterial bloom. Water changes don't really help with that as the new water spurs the bacteria to continue reproducing to replace what was lost in the water change.
    This will explain better than I can. lol
    http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/246850-bacterial-blooms-explained/

As mentioned on that site, a bacterial bloom is harmless to fish for the most part but can cause oxygen deprivation. If you haven't already, add an airstone or increase the space between your filter out take and the waterline of your tank. =)

3. GoldenKillifish Member Member

Avoid putting hands in tank when doing stuff and I personally had similar issue with cloudy water. Weirdly enough I was given for free an Aqua-tech filter cartridge and after an hour my water was clear. Really amazing filters considering I have a tetra whisper HOB filter pump.

4. CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Don't give up quite yet!

What are you exact tank and tap parameter? ph, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates?

What happens with a water change? Does it improve temporarily and then cloudy again in a few hours?

What products are you using? List all of them please :)

Is this the 20g high? What is your current stocking? What are your water change schedules like? how often and now much? What is your substrate? Do you rinse your filters in old tank water weekly? How often do you feed and what?