What Algae Is This?

  1. Baburelli Initiate Member

    Would anybody know what type of algae this is and what I can do about it? My Ludwigia Rubins and Rotala Rotundifolias have gone from beautiful plants to ones that are now covered in algae that I cannot wipe off the leaves. This has been the case for many months now and nothing I have tried made a difference. Not even dosing with H2O2 (30 ml) and Excel 5 ml on the advise of the Plant Guru on the PlantedTank.net (The "One-Two Punch" Whole Tank Algae Treatment). It killed the Staghorn algae but not the one showing on the picture.
    They are in a 12 G Fluvial Edge heavily planted communal tank with about 50+ RCS's, 6 Amanos, 5 Otos, 4 Mollies, 3 Guppies, 2 Corys and a few snails.
    1 ml Excel /day
    1 ml Florish Comprehensive 1 to 2 times/week
    1 ml Iron/week
    1 ml Nitrogen /week
    1 ml Potassium/week
    1 ml phosphate/week
    The last 3 macros I only started a month ago.
    I changed the 8 W stock lighting to 18 W from Ultrabrite and added a Finnex 11.9 Planted Led light which are on from 8-12 and from 4-9.
    Result of latest water test reads NO2 and NO3 at 0, PH at 6.6.

    Any advise would be much appreciated.
     

    Attached Files:

  2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

    Do you have an ammonia test? The fact that you have zero nitrates leads me to suspect that your tank isn't cycled or that you're not doing the nitrate test properly. What test are you using?

    The fact that you're dosing ferts and have high waste fish in a tiny tank (frankly you're overstocked) but still have zero nitrates shows that something is not right.

    My guess is that you have way too much nutrients in the water. My advice is to rehome the mollies.
     

  3. Baburelli Initiate Member

    Thanks for your reply and Yes, I did the ammonia test and it is at zero as well. I use the API master kit. The tank has been going since Oct /16 and has many other plants that are doing very well. Should I maybe not be dosing so many ferts? I have always wondered about the absence of Nitrates but assumed that they were absorbed by the plants. I really like my Balloon Mollies that are waiting for me in the morning to be fed. I'd rather rehome my Guppies. I started out with only 10 shrimp and 3 Otos but especially the Oto babies were a big surprise.
     
  4. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

    Are you shaking the nitrate test bottle #2 like crazy? Like to the point that you're smashing the bottle on the wall? If not that could be why you're getting a reading of zero. Maybe take a sample to your lps and get them to test it. They'll probably use a strip test but at least it will give you an idea if your test is accurate.

    It's possible that your lights are to blame. I would maybe do a blackout for a few days and then start on a shorter light schedule.
     

  5. Baburelli Initiate Member

    Well....I did a huge shake session on bottle #2 but got the same result. But then I used a test strip and saw that the Nitrates were at 40. And here I thought that the Master Kit would be more accurate. The results of the PH and the Nitrites were the same as from the Kit. So what now?
     
  6. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

    It could be that by not shaking it the active ingredient in bottle #2 glued itself to the bottom permanently or the concentration has changed so that the results aren't accurate. Or it's possible that it wasn't stored properly between manufacturing and getting to you and the quality was compromised.

    Whatever the reason, I would now use the strips to test your source water and if there are no nitrates in that then do larger or more frequent water changes to keep the nitrates down.
     
  7. Baburelli Initiate Member

    Thank you for your advise. I will get some new Nitrate bottles and do more frequent water changes. I do 30% once/week now but that's obviously not enough.
     

  8. KeeperOfASilentWorld Well Known Member Member

    Cut Iron&Phosphate and increase Potassium&Excel to the highest amount written on the box. Stop using a siesta and do a 8 hour block photosynthetic period. Increase surface agitation when lights are off.