What algae eater to get?

• Thread starter funkman262
  • Start date

funkman262

Well Known
Here's my tank:

I'm thinking about either a group of ottos or a single pleco. I know most bushynose plecos stay small (around 4") but I was wondering if a larger one would be fine in there since they don't swim around a whole lot. Do plecos typically tear apart plants? What about the ottos? Any suggestions would help. Thanks.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
A bristlenose or a groups of otos would perfect for that size tank. I think anything bigger would be too big.
carol

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Butterfly said:
A bristlenose or a groups of otos would perfect for that size tank. I think anything bigger would be too big.
carol
+1.

No BN don't usually damage plants unless there is a shortage of algae or you don't feed enough extra fro them.

funkman262

Well Known
Would one be better than the other (BN vs ottos) if I plan on getting a couple apistogrammas? Would a full-grown BN be able to hold his own? Thanks for your help all

Sammyboi1993

A Single BN Would Be Fine
A Group of about 5 or 6 otts would be good or a SAE theese are excellent algae eaters.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
why do you want algae eaters? do you have algae? just curious as some think every tank should have one when they really don't need them all the time

ppate1977

Well Known
I don't need an algee eater, but I keep one because of looks. I feed him algee waifers and he eats the algee off my apple snails' shell.

funkman262

Well Known
Shawnie said:
why do you want algae eaters? do you have algae? just curious as some think every tank should have one when they really don't need them all the time
I probably wouldn't be getting one for a while as my tank has only been established for a few months. But honestly, I love the way plecos look, especially BN plecos which is perfect for me, but I've also heard a lot of great things about ottos so I'm on the fence. I want to get whichever would be a better balance for my tank. Even if I end up not having algae problems in the future, I'd still like to have either one and I'd just supplement with wafers or whatever.

allibobs

Well Known
Sammyboi1993 said:
A Single BN Would Be Fine
A Group of about 5 or 6 otts would be good or a SAE theese are excellent algae eaters.
whats a SAE? answerd my own question siamese algae eater. How big do these get?

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
funkman262 said:
I probably wouldn't be getting one for a while as my tank has only been established for a few months. But honestly, I love the way plecos look, especially BN plecos which is perfect for me, but I've also heard a lot of great things about ottos so I'm on the fence. I want to get whichever would be a better balance for my tank. Even if I end up not having algae problems in the future, I'd still like to have either one and I'd just supplement with wafers or whatever.
I have a bunch of the abns but won't be ready to ship for a month or so..more than welcome to have some ....and I agree the plecs have a special look about them

funkman262

Well Known
Shawnie said:
I have a bunch of the abns but won't be ready to ship for a month or so..more than welcome to have some ....and I agree the plecs have a special look about them
Thanks Shawnie. I'll be sure to keep that in mind. Do you only have albinos?

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
funkman262 said:
Thanks Shawnie. I'll be sure to keep that in mind. Do you only have albinos?
yeps

Sammyboi1993

SAE gets to about 10cm and eat all types of algae. Iv got one and he helps keep my tank algae free.

Elodea

Well Known
Yes, I think SAE are a very good choice...however, if you're getting one for the looks, a BN will be much more impressive.

I would personally go for a shoal of maybe 3 or 4 otos when the tank is more mature.

GBR.Moorrreeee

SAE's are the best algae eaters in the planet. I tried plecos but they produce to much waste. Oto's don't really clean anything, at least the ones I have.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
My Otos do a fantastic job. So much so that the SAE in their tank need to be fed wafers a couple of times a week.

BN are quite literally armour plated so there isn't really many fish that can hurt them too much. They will be fine with your Apistos. If you like both Otos & BN's for the fish themselves & can provide a good home for them, have both.

Top Bottom