What algae eater to get?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by funkman262, Apr 12, 2010.

1. funkman262Well Known MemberMember

Here's my tank:

[​IMG]

I'm thinking about either a group of ottos or a single pleco. I know most bushynose plecos stay small (around 4") but I was wondering if a larger one would be fine in there since they don't swim around a whole lot. Do plecos typically tear apart plants? What about the ottos? Any suggestions would help. Thanks.

2. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

A bristlenose or a groups of otos would perfect for that size tank. I think anything bigger would be too big.
    carol

3. NutterFishlore VIPMember

+1.

No BN don't usually damage plants unless there is a shortage of algae or you don't feed enough extra fro them.

4. funkman262Well Known MemberMember

Would one be better than the other (BN vs ottos) if I plan on getting a couple apistogrammas? Would a full-grown BN be able to hold his own? Thanks for your help all :)

5. Sammyboi1993Valued MemberMember

A Single BN Would Be Fine
    A Group of about 5 or 6 otts would be good or a SAE theese are excellent algae eaters.

6. ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

why do you want algae eaters? do you have algae? just curious as some think every tank should have one when they really dont need them all the time :)

7. ppate1977Well Known MemberMember

I don't need an algee eater, but I keep one because of looks. I feed him algee waifers and he eats the algee off my apple snails' shell.

8. funkman262Well Known MemberMember

I probably wouldn't be getting one for a while as my tank has only been established for a few months. But honestly, I love the way plecos look, especially BN plecos which is perfect for me, but I've also heard a lot of great things about ottos so I'm on the fence. I want to get whichever would be a better balance for my tank. Even if I end up not having algae problems in the future, I'd still like to have either one and I'd just supplement with wafers or whatever.

9. allibobsWell Known MemberMember

whats a SAE? answerd my own question siamese algae eater. How big do these get?

10. ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

I have a bunch of the abns but wont be ready to ship for a month or so..more than welcome to have some ....and I agree the plecs have a special look about them :)

11. funkman262Well Known MemberMember

Thanks Shawnie. I'll be sure to keep that in mind. Do you only have albinos?

12. ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

yeps

13. Sammyboi1993Valued MemberMember

SAE gets to about 10cm and eat all types of algae. Iv got one and he helps keep my tank algae free.

14. ElodeaWell Known MemberMember

Yes, I think SAE are a very good choice...however, if you're getting one for the looks, a BN will be much more impressive.

I would personally go for a shoal of maybe 3 or 4 otos when the tank is more mature.

15. GBR.MoorrreeeeValued MemberMember

SAE's are the best algae eaters in the planet. I tried plecos but they produce to much waste. Oto's don't realy clean anything, at least the ones i have.

16. NutterFishlore VIPMember

My Otos do a fantastic job. So much so that the SAE in thier tank need to be fed wafers a couple of times a week.

BN are quite literally armour plated so there isn't really many fish that can hurt them too much. They will be fine with your Apistos. If you like both Otos & BN's for the fish themselves & can provide a good home for them, have both.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice