What about the gravel???

ScottPHX

Reaction score
How deep should the gravel be? I'm guessing a couple of inches maybe? Does it matter? Also, I plan on getting a canister type filter, but I want to introduce some bubbles to the tank as well. Are there fish that don't react well to bubbles? I envision a few streams of bubbles at the back of my tank. Thanks for all the help so far, it's much appreciated ;D

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If your tank will not be planted, you don't have to have gravel at all if you don't want. Gravel in a non-planted tank is purely decorational. So it's up to you how much of it you want to have. One inch should be fine without plants - of course you could have more if you want. But remember that if you do not perform regular gravel vacs, and if you'll have a lot of gravel, there will be a lot of debris trapped in there which will cause your nitrate to increase. So it's always important to vacuum your gravel regularly (with regular water changes). I don't think any fish would react negatively to bubbles, unless it's some extremely powerful bubble wand or airstone (lol ) that makes it difficult for the fish to swim and move around.

ScottPHX

Reaction score
Thanks Isabella!!

Jmarcus

Valued Member
Reaction score
I understand that a rule of thumb for gravel for planted tanks is at least two pounds gravel / substrate per gallon of water.

ScottPHX

Reaction score
I'll see if i can keep fish alive before I try to keep plants alive HAHAHAHA!!! ;D

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom