what about salt in a gold tank yes or no

Stradius011

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello! You should put salt in your tank. It gives them a slime coat that helps them resist diseases. I don't remember how much salt to put in though...

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Salt occasionally is used in a freshwater tanks only to treat disease. Fish have a natural slime coat without the addition of salt.
Carol

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry Stradius011 I have to respectfull disagree. The reason it increases the slime coat is because it irritates their skin causing a build up of extra slime. They don't need extra slime, nature gave them the right amount to begin with.
Carol

paul_219

Reaction score
Well I have goldfish in my tank. I never add salt to them, they tell me that it hurts the skin of te fish. And they r doing gr8.

OP
B

beetlebug454

Reaction score
After reading this I say the **** with the salt.........................

Gunnie

Well Known
Reaction score
Peter243243 said:
How do you get rid of salt in the tank?
The salt will be removed as you do water changes and vacuum the gravel. Salt is not bad, but not necessary in all tanks. It's great to help healing and with some illnesses, but not something required by most freshwater fish. Some folks swear by it though in their tanks. It's really up to you to decide. We try here to teach those just coming into the hobby to add as little to their water as possible, including salt, ph up, ph down, algae destroyers, water clarifyers, etc. Please don't take the debate personally. We just feel less is better unless you are talking about water changes.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
username this is an old thread and it's already been decided salt isn't good in a goldfish tank
Carol

username

Reaction score
oh... well the thing is, I look through boards to see if there's anything that I could probably help with.

New Threads