75 Gallon Tank What a mess. Opened cannister without stopping filter.

Brainlady

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
What a mess. Opened cannister without stopping pump

Yes, indeed. I now know not to clean my tank when I have a fever and the flu. This I now know......
I decided to clean my Fluval 404 and replace the different filter mediums. So, I simply flipped the clasps on the side of the canister and tried to take the lid off ..OH WHAT A DISASTER!!!!! Water immediately begins to gush out on all sides, I am in a total panic, things start to float around in the fish cabinet/stand. Water is now pouring onto my floor and I am yelling for my husband, who is not at home.
After about 25 gallons has poured and gushed all over me, the floor, the cabinet and my dogs (they thought it was a game) it suddenly dawns on me (I'm slow, got the flu remember) to unplug the whole thing. I literally yanked all the plugs out of the adapter. Ah, the nightmare stopped.
It took me three hours to clean everything, dry the floor, dry the dogs, dry me, clean the tank, replace the filter medium and put everything back together. My tank looks awesome, I have a huge pile of wet towels on the floor and all my fish are laughing at me. ops:

inncogneatoh

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I think we've all been there and done that to some extent. One of those things we'll do once and learn our lesson fast

I hope there's no water damage to your floors :S

And I hope you feel better soon!

Treefork

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That stinks. Probably don't want to operate any heavy machinery or cut vegetables either.

GDP

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I did that last week I think it was. Well for me it was not still turned on and I was hooking it all back up. For some reason I wasent thinking and flipped the quick disconnects back to the on position BEFORE it was connected back to the filter. Lets just say I freaked out a little and it took a few seconds to turn them back off. The siphon effect works really well.

sanjin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Oh dear! Hope you're feeling better soon.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
lol, I know what you mean! I once forgot to close the valves before taking them off the canister. doh! luckily my husband was home to try to help. this was my 75 too. but luckily I only got a couple gallons maybe. but the carpet was soaked. 4 days of running a fan to get it dry. luckily there is concrete underneath.

hope you feel better. a lot of us have done dumb things!

Danni

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Feel better soon...

If it makes you feel better I did the same thing once and even yelled for the hub's who was at work. Then I cried because I had to clean it up. LOL!

angel_scout

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
LOL. That is not good. Sorry about that huge mess you had to clean up by yourself, when your sick. Hope you feel better soon.

maxima423

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am going to show this to my ex girlfriend that tries to do water changes, ah funny stuff lol

New Threads