what a good Reptile for a begginer keeper?

andy65
My middle brother HATE fish but he likes chameleons or Reptiles.

What would be a good Reptile for him? Has anyone keeped chameleons?

thanks

Drea
We kept Chameleons (Anoles) for a few years, when my son was 7 years old about 20 yrs ago now . We kept finding them in our house, when we lived in the Atlanta GA area. We also found scorpions, BIG spiders and turtles, but didn't want them as pets.
They need about the same care as any reptile...warmth, water, good substrate, and crickets, mealy worms, etc to eat. Ours actually had an egg, it hatched, and we had the little one for about 1 month, then he died. We went out at night and caught gnats, and tried to feed him, but somehow we failed.

nate
If he is into snakes the Ball Python is probably the best.

andy65
No Snakes!!!

My mom HATE THEM and he does not want a snake.

nate
Haha try a small gecko or anole. Their easy to keep and don't get very big. So a big tank is not needed.

Dino
Bearded dragons are probably the best first reptile, IMO.
The stay about a foot in length, are handleable and easy to take care of.

As mentioned, anoles, would be another good choice, but they do not take to handeling very well.

Tavel
If your bro isn't terribly attached to the idea of a reptile, I would recommend a couple of toads instead. They're still exotic, but girls think toads are worlds cuter

FYI: Chameleons are mean little buggers. They hiss and bite, not fun.

Toads are extremely easy to keep. You can put two or three in a 20L with organic dirt substrate (not the fertilized potting soil). Use an aquarium lid to maintain ideal humidity, keep a dish with some water in it, and change the substrate out every 3 months or so. You only have to feed them once a week and they're set.

The "easy" species to keep are Great Plains Toads and European Green Toads (aka Eurasian Green Toad). Great Plains toads spend a lot of time burried in the substrate, while the European Greens are out almost constantly (they climb a lot, oddly enough). so I would obviously suggest a European Green.

they are escape artists though, you may need to duct tape the lid on. I got tired of my toads following me into the bathroom for a shower!

Wilhelm Joshua Tan
It can be red-eared slider, boa constrictor, green iguana, black iguana and many more.

Reference:
Terrarium Animals from A to Z author: Oliver Dweres where is publish: Barron's

Here_fishy_fishy
I would go for a leopard gecko I had one when I was younger and he was easy to care for and I loved hearing his food cherping all night!! (crickets)

slakey
Either a Bearded Dragon *very fun and active, aswell as friendly despite their mean look*
Leopard Gecko *I'm guessing very friendly, but can't judge have never owned one*

Chameleon *out of the question, your not experienced enough, they are very hard to keep*

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fishbro5
Replies
Views
Kova
  • Meganrae8148
  • Reptile
Replies
Views
Sheldon13