what 2 do with my ph

1. joshua 74 Member Member

well its me agen im always needing help with my discus. im happy 2 say that my discus are no longer fighting constantly only little bits every now and then my discus tanks ph sits between 6.6 and6.4 witch is good. i yous peet witch is like a wood cind of thing that i pout in a stocking at the back of the tank this works very well i neva have problems with my ph but 1 thing i dont like about peet is that it makes your water look dirty like creek water. so 1 bout a second filter 2 pout carbon in 2 clear it up. what im asking is how do u ppl keep your ph down coz im sik of the color of my water when i show of my fish that is the first thing ppl notes. or is i completely empty my tank and start all ova agen with the peet and carbon will it work betta and will that hurt my fish. plz answer if u know dont make stuff up coz u just hurt other ppls fish thanks

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning. Sorry to hear you're having pH issues. Here is a link you may find helpful:

Properly Maintaining the pH in a Freshwater Aquarium - Rate My Fish Tank

Also, would you please type in complete sentences and not in text. Your post was very difficult to read. If English isn't your first language then I apologize! However, please do not use text language. Spell out and separate your sentences. It may even help you to get more responses.
    Thanks!
    Ken

3. MaddieLynn Well Known Member Member

How many discus do you have in there? A 20 gallon tank really isn't big enough for discus unless maybe you are using it for a grow-out tank. Discus are really delicate fish, so it would probably be good to get an API master test kit (NOT the strip kind) so you can see what your ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite are.

Also, I noticed that your aquarium info says that your temperature is 38 degrees Celsius, which equals 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit... could you possibly have meant 28 degrees Celsius? There's no way the fish would still be alive at 38.

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?

I wouldn't advise emptying the tank and starting again because if your cycle is already done you will kill it and have to start again, which would kill your discus in the process because they aren't nearly strong enough to stand the nitrogen cycle.

I don't have a lot of advice about the pH... driftwood can lower the pH, but it also can turn the water brown. What is your pH from your tap water before the pH is lowered?

4. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Hi Joshua, I also found your post very difficult to read.

It's great that your discus are doing better. :)

Have you considered decorating with driftwood? It will also lower pH. You have to cure it before adding it to the tank for a while, or it will also release tannins into the water, which cause it to tint that brownish color you don't care for.

I'm sorry you feel that people are giving you advice to hurt your fish. I truly believe that the members of this forum who give advice to others have the best interest of fish in their hearts. A lot of people devote a lot of time to help others have healthy aquariums, and we certainly don't wish to harm anyone's fish! :)

Good luck keeping the pH down. I think it's fantastic that you are looking for natural rather than chemical solutions.

5. dvc_r Well Known Member Member

The ph from my tap is 8.2 so I needed to do something if I wanted to keep Discus. At first, I had the same problem, not only did my tank get cloudy but my ph crashed to 5.4) so I reduced the amount of peat but then I decided to take out the peat all together. I saved up for an RO unit and now have it draining into a 50 gal (190 L) storage container. My ph comes out at about 6.8.

I then wanted to get into planted aquariums so I started making my own CO2 bottles (sugar/yeast) mixture. This also lowers your ph and has to be monitored very closely.

To get rid of some of the cloudiness "I" would do a 30% water change every other day until it clears up. Get your Discus used to water changes, I do 50-60% WC two to three times a week. That's only for my Discus. My other 6 tanks I do WC once a week or two.

A few added questions:

I was looking at your profile and you were not sure of your ammonia, nirIte and nitrAte levels. I would suggest you get a liquid test kit (the paper strips are not as accurate). Discus are one of the most sensitive freshwater fish in the hobby, and if you don't keep ammonia/nitrIte levels at zero and try to keep nitrAte levels below 20 (preferably closer to 10 or lower) you may have problems in the future.

Do you keep the temperature at 38° or did you mean to type 28° ? 28-30°C (82-86°F) is about right.

This may not be a factor but I'm gonna throw it out to you anyway. Juvenile Discus need to be fed 5-7 times a day. Sometimes people put too much food in each time and not clean it up. This will also make your water cloudy and kill the fish.

I hope this was helpful for you.

6. joshua 74 Member Member

sorry all i am dyslexic i have very poor righting skils it is a 80 liter tank and it is temporarily the tank i hope to get a 200 liter tank soon im only 15 and working at kmart not so ez 2 get money. sorry bout all spelling i am doing my best i will get someone to look over what i rite thanks you have been a big help.

7. dvc_r Well Known Member Member

You don't have to apologize, we understand that people from around the world come to this web site for personal opinions, experiences and help. So as long as we can figure out what your asking, we are more concerned with your fish and helping rather than your grammar and spelling. :)

8. joshua 74 Member Member

thanks its good to know others care about keeping your fish happy becauce they are more then fish we really care about them. im geting new 200 liters tank soon its made by jebo it looks real good my fish will love it 200 liters how many discus can i pout in there. thanks all

9. MaddieLynn Well Known Member Member

How many discus to you have now? In a 55 gallon, I'd say no more than 4 discus, so if you have more now, I'd take some back to the LFS or sell some.

10. Slug Well Known Member Member

Depends on the amount of WCs you want to do. I've kept 8-10 discus in a 55gal before. 4-5 would be ideal. Also depends on tank mates.

11. joshua 74 Member Member

i have 3 discus 1 is large and i have 2 that are small i change my water two times a week my ph is a little high at the moment i think im going to throw in keeping my ph low using peet its just 2 hard. what is the best way 2 keep my ph stable. ow and my fish are fighting again.