What’s Wrong With This Goldfish? Help 

MaximumRide14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
IMG_4997.JPG
IMG_4998.JPG

This goldfish isn’t mine, but it’s in an outdoor pond with some koi and guppies. It looks like her scales are falling off. Apparently some guppies has the same problems, but they died. Sorry I don’t know more info, but I’ll try to answer any questions you guys have.

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It looks like dropsy. That isn't a good thing. If other fish have exhibited the same symptoms, I would suspect a water quality issue.

Immediate treatment with antibiotics and Epsom salt would be the path to follow. Unfortunately dropsy is a common topic. A thread search will bring up lots of reading material.

MaximumRide14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
maggie thecat said:
It looks like dropsy. That isn't a good thing. If other fish have exhibited the same symptoms, I would suspect a water quality issue.

Immediate treatment with antibiotics and Epsom salt would be the path to follow. Unfortunately dropsy is a common topic. A thread search will bring up lots of reading material.
I actually haven’t observed any dropsy. There isn’t any pineconing of the scales.

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
MaximumRide14 said:
I actually haven’t observed any dropsy. There isn’t any pineconing of the scales.
Granted the perspective from a photograph isn't always reliable, but from here the scales appear lifted, and "scales falling off" is also a symptom. I would take a safe than sorry approach. Pineconing = organ failure, which often is followed by a dead fish.

AverageDewdrop

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I agree with dropsy, my shubunkin had it. Pine coning and all. Qt with salt and it actually went away. Tho now I believe it's got parasites. If the fish stays low to the ground that's also another symptom. And pine coning stage in dropsy is typically when it's too late. Salts will help remove the fluid built up. But there's a ratio which you can easily look up. Best of luck :)

What kinda Goldie ? Looks like an oranda kinda

MaximumRide14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
AverageDewdrop said:
I agree with dropsy, my shubunkin had it. Pine coning and all. Qt with salt and it actually went away. Tho now I believe it's got parasites. If the fish stays low to the ground that's also another symptom. And pine coning stage in dropsy is typically when it's too late. Salts will help remove the fluid built up. But there's a ratio which you can easily look up. Best of luck :)

What kinda Goldie ? Looks like an oranda kinda
She is an oranda. Right now she’s been moved to a ten gallon quarantine with aquarium salt. I’m going to be honest though, she really doesn’t have any pineconing scales at all. Her scales may look prominent or pushed out in the pics, but they’re smooth and aren’t sticking out at all. I do agree that she may have parasites though.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom