What’s Wrong With My Mystery Snail?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by mochii, Aug 19, 2019.

1. mochii

mochiiNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello! I just found my mystery snail looking like this at the bottom of the tank and I have no idea what happened. It looks like he’s protruding out of his shell. I’m not entirely sure if he’s even alive now, I moved him into a small container so I could monitor him closely but I haven’t seen any movement yet. The only thing I could found that remotely resembled this is mantle collapse, but I’m new to snails so I’m not really sure. I’d appreciate any help, thanks!

sorry, i’m new to the forum and the image didn’t upload the first time!!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2019 at 7:17 PM
  2. richie.p

richie.pFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,479
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Croeso welcome to fishlore mochii, when you touch him he should retreat back into the shell, how long as he been in the tank, all the normal questions need to be answered for anyone to diagnose
    Is the tank cycled, what are your perameters, a picture of the tank, are you using any meds or first, start there and see where it goes

3. OP
    OP
    mochii

mochiiNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    He’s been in the tank for about two months now, I have three other snails in the tank and they’re all acting fine. The tank has been cycled for two years and it is a 29gal. I’m not using any medications or supplements in the tank right now. My ammonia is at 0.25ppm (due for a water change), and I can test more parameters if it helps.

4. richie.p

richie.pFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,479
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    That sounds fine if it were toxins it would affect all the snails, although ammonia is be toxic to crustations we see s lot of readings that look like 0.25 because of the colour chart, it dosnt look good for this chap and because the others are fine makes it more difficult to find out what's happened, it may be age, it won't harm doing whatever water reading you can do just in case. Do them before the water change or you'll have false readings, if the body of the snail as gone hard like rubber is s good sign he's gone and of course the sniff test, maybe some else here may have an idea but I'll start searching and see if I can find anything and will come back. Keep us posted

5. Mongo75

Mongo75Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +255
    Don't count him off yet! One of mine does that too frequently for me, but seems fine. He floats in the top of the tank just dangling out about 1/4 inch.

From what I've read and been told, does he stink? It doesnt take long. Less than 12 hours, and you will definitely be able to tell.

Like richie.p asked, does he move at all then you touch him? Mine barely moved, but he did close up when I took him out of the water and let him sit for 5 minutes. When I put him back in the tank, he opened up like before, but the next day, he was doing just fine. Give it a try and see...