What’s Wrong With My Fish?

Sophari

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Attached is a video (hopefully ) of my baby Platy who seems unable to swim forwards? She also seems to be spinning uncontrollably and in a lot of distress? She’s in a separated net so she could have a chance of getting food and also so she could rest on the bottom (she seemed to be trying to sit on leaves of plants). Any ideas what’s up with her?

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Attached is a video (hopefully ) of my baby Platy who seems unable to swim forwards? She also seems to be spinning uncontrollably and in a lot of distress? She’s in a separated net so she could have a chance of getting food and also so she could rest on the bottom (she seemed to be trying to sit on leaves of plants). Any ideas what’s up with her?
Video didn't attach.
First question, as always lol!: what are your water parameters?
Full this out please?Fish Emergency Template
Also, any big water changes recently?

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can not upload videos directly to FishLore. You need to have your video on a video hosting site such as YouTube, then you can put a link to the video in your post

Sophari

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Video didn't attach.
First question, as always lol!: what are your water parameters?
Full this out please?Fish Emergency Template
Also, any big water changes recently?
Oh nevermind, I’m sure you can imagine a fish stressful swimming around backwards in circles pretty accurately.
I performed a 50% water change last night but I noticed the fish was acting like this a couple hours before doing so.
As for that form...

Water volume of the tank - 70 litres
Tank been running - 2 years? If not a bit more
Filter - Yes
Heater - yes
Water temperature - 28C / 82F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? 2 adult platy, 1 molly, 3 guppies, 3 baby Platy & 2 Nerite snails

Change the water - Aim for once every 2 weeks however the last one was a month ago
Change - 50%
Treat water - An all in one solution
Vacuum the substrate - Yes

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish - yes
What do you use to test the water - all in one test strips
Parameters -

Ammonia: unknown
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: somewhere between 25-50 (plan to do another W/C tonight)
pH: 7.2

Feeding
Feed your fish - usually once every 2 days, but more recently once every day
How much do you feed your fish - about 2 small/medium pinches
Brand of food - fish science slow sinking pellets
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods - occasionally frozen

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish - since birth, about 10 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms - yesterday
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms - fish seems to uncontrollably swim in circles tilting to one side and struggles to swim forwards rather than backwards

You can not upload videos directly to FishLore. You need to have your video on a video hosting site such as YouTube, then you can put a link to the video in your post
Ohh okay, thanks

Rdrb

Valued Member
Reaction score
Oh nevermind, I’m sure you can imagine a fish stressful swimming around backwards in circles pretty accurately.
I performed a 50% water change last night but I noticed the fish was acting like this a couple hours before doing so.
As for that form...

Water volume of the tank - 70 litres
Tank been running - 2 years? If not a bit more
Filter - Yes
Heater - yes
Water temperature - 28C / 82F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? 2 adult platy, 1 molly, 3 guppies, 3 baby Platy & 2 Nerite snails

Change the water - Aim for once every 2 weeks however the last one was a month ago
Change - 50%
Treat water - An all in one solution
Vacuum the substrate - Yes

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish - yes
What do you use to test the water - all in one test strips
Parameters -

Ammonia: unknown
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: somewhere between 25-50 (plan to do another W/C tonight)
pH: 7.2

Feeding
Feed your fish - usually once every 2 days, but more recently once every day
How much do you feed your fish - about 2 small/medium pinches
Brand of food - fish science slow sinking pellets
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods - occasionally frozen

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish - since birth, about 10 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms - yesterday
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms - fish seems to uncontrollably swim in circles tilting to one side and struggles to swim forwards rather than backwards
I am afraid your fish might not survive beacause i have had fish which do that and immediately they have passed on but let me know if i am wrong also i think your nitrates should be lower

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Water changes once a month aren't often enough, once a week is reasonable. The swimming behavior you are describing is typical of nitrate poisoning. It is made worse by high tank temps. I advise turning your heater down to 78°. 82° is the upper limit of their tolerance. Do three consecutive 50% water changes and thoroughly vacuum the substrate over the next 3 days to get your nitrate level down to <10 ppm. Rinse your filter media in clean dechlorinated water, clean or the filter itself, the impeller and all intake strainers and tubes. Then from now on, do at least a 25% water change every week. High nitrate levels are caused, most of the time, by inadequate water changes and poor tank maintenance (clogged filters, intake tubes, outflow vents, detritus accumulation in substrate etc.). If your fish is suffering from nitrate poisoning (and isn't already too far gone) you should see a gradual improvement as your nitrate levels drop.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The first red flag to me is the infrequent water changes. The best way to keep fish healthy is keeping them in fresh clean water.

Sadly it may be too late for this little guy but to prevent the same thing happening to its tank mates is to get on a weekly water change schedule. Changing out 50% of the water each week should keep your fish healthy. I even recommend doing a 65 or 70% water change once a month.

There are buildups of toxins in the tanks that most hobbyists don't test for so doing the larger water changes prevents those toxins from building up.

Sophari

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I am afraid your fish might not survive beacause i have had fish which do that and immediately they have passed on but let me know if i am wrong also i think your nitrates should be lower
Yeah... my substrate is weird in that if I mess with it too much it seems to release nitrates somehow? I messed with it too much during a W/C yesterday hence why they are notably high at the minute. That’s a shame to hear about your fish I hope you’re not facing that problem anymore

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom