What’s Wrong With My Amano Shrimp?

katep0776

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have 2 Amano shrimp that I got a few months ago in with 2 very chill non agressive goldies and the shrimp to start with were very busy cleaning and walking around and I never saw the goldies bother them, it was like they didn’t even see them as they would both be cleaning a small area of gravel and not bother each other at all. However now my shrimp are always on my filter, except in the evenings then they tend to go elsewhere (I struggle to see where sometimes) but in the morning they are back on the filter. I think they like that the filter traps bits of the moss ball and they sit on the water inlet and eat the stuff that gets stuck in the moss ball bits but is there a possibility that they are struggling for oxygen? A lot of the time they just sit on the filter their antennae move but they aren’t cleaning. I change the water quite regularly (at least once a week)
Shall I get rid of the moss ball so they have to come out more and look for food? (I bought the moss ball for them to sit on and pick at but they never do because they’re always on the bits that get stuck in the filter, and the moss ball is kind of falling apart now)
Shall I get a few more shrimp so they are a bigger group and feel more confident? Like I said I didn’t used to have this problem and it has gone on for a few weeks now so if they were ill they would have died by now I’m sure... or IS there something wrong with them?

Jeremy Pearce

Valued Member
Reaction score
They are probably just scared being that you only have two and you have larger fish. Start with a group of 10 or 20 to get a breeding population going and as the population gets larger you will see them more and more. Shrimp have a tendency to hide when fish are present, especially if it is a larger fish like goldfish.

leftswerve

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yep, tropical vs cold. Predator vs Prey. And there's more than just moss in that filter.

tjander

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Breeding Amano’s can be done, buts it takes a far amount of work.

I would rehome the shrimp to a species only tank add a few more and enjoy them. They are not long for this world with gold fish in the same tank. IMO

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom