What’s Up With My Betta?

helbows

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey everyone! So, I got a male crowntail about a month ago. It was a spur of the moment thing, technically, but I had been planning to get a Betta for a while. I knew about the cycle, I knew the size of tank I needed to get — all of it.

He was originally in a five gallon, and I was doing fish-in cycling. About a week ago, I moved him to a ten gallon, which means I started the cycling over again. Not a wise choice, I realize.

For the past week, he hasn’t eaten. He may have eaten one freeze-dried bloodworm yesterday, but I didn’t watch that so I can’t confirm. I’ve also noticed that he has been pooping white and stringy. I understand that this can be a sign of internal parasites, but I really don’t think that’s it — there’s nothing that could really give him those. He’s always been an extremely picky eater, but I could get him to eat. I’ve tried basically every single food, from the best (Northfin) to the worst (Wardley’s). None do it.

He has seemed almost listless, but I imagine that’s from the stress. He’ll hang out at the top of his tank. I think I’ve noticed him blowing some bubbles, and he seemed to be nesting before I moved him.

I also believe he has fin rot, I just can’t tell how bad it is, honestly. If he does have it, it hasn’t gotten worse the past few weeks. I’ve attached a picture. It looks better when his fins are flared out, I will say, but he relaxes his fins quite often. The underside of him around his gills also looks pale, but I’m not sure if it’s always been like that?

Other than that, I haven’t noticed any issues. His eyes are normal, he isn’t bulging at all, no pineconing. I think his vision is good too, as he reacts to my finger near the glass and has followed it before.

The things I’m most concerned about are his appetite and his poop. I know he’s stressed right now, but I don’t want him to starve. I’ve tried the garlic juice thing, but he doesn’t care about it. He’s very picky.

A quick tank rundown (after a recent water change)
Temp: 82 deg F
pH: 7.4-7.6
Ammonia: 0 ppm - .25 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm - .25 ppm
Nitrates: 0 ppm

Attachments

helbows

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Small update: he seems to be doing a little better. His poop isn’t as stringy and isn’t white, it’s yellow, which tells me he did eat the (Omega One) bloodworm yesterday! He’s also a little more active.

WhatsUpGuys - I used BioSpira since my other tank wasn’t cycled either, and I figured putting media from a tank that had no established bacteria wouldn’t help. I do plan on doing that for any future tanks, though — I hate the cycling process probably more than the fish does.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom