What’s This Snail... Question Again

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Lynn78too, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Lynn78too

Lynn78tooWell Known MemberMember

This snail has been in my tank for quite some time. He was so small at first I thought he was a shell from my kids little shell collection. Is it a trumpet? Whatever it is, will it reproduce on its own, uproot or eat my plants, or kill my other snails or amano shrimp? I tried to get a good picture but it can be weeks before I see it again and it was on a leaf that was wavin around in the filter’s flow.

Thanks.

UPDATE: I am now seeing 8. Is this a problem I should be concerned with?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  2. KinsKicks

KinsKicksFishlore VIPMember

Hello!

That is a Malaysian Trumpet Snail (MTS). They need a M and a F to breed. They’re actually quite beneficial because they stir up your substrate by digging into it (probably why you don’t see it very often!) And they aren’t harmful to your other inverts.

3. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Am I seeing a ramshorn snail or is it one of the other snails you mentioned? It doesn't look like an assassin snail and as far as I know they are the only one in the aquarium hobby that actively hunt and kill other snails.. Although it is close to the same shape, it is the wrong color. I would think if it was going to damage your plants you would have already seen evidence of it.

Looks like @KinsKicks has correctly identified it for you.

4. OP
    OP
    Lynn78too

How funny! I didn't even realize that other snail was in there. That's some obnoxious ramshorn or pond snail, also a hitchhiker and they breed like there's no tomorrow. They also eat the roots of my frogbit. Those things are the reason people hate snails!

No, I was talking about the one that looks like a point. Good to know it's just a MTS. Thanks!

5. Dch48

Dch48Well Known MemberMember

I agree. It's either a MTS or a very young Rabbit snail. Almost certainly a MTS though.

6. mattgirl

I know too well about ramshorns. They are the reason I have assassins. I was fighting a war with them and they were winning. I know a lot of folks say they can be controlled but I didn't want them controlled...I wanted them GONE.

The assassins did such a good job they almost ate themselves out of food. I found a few in one of my filters so moved them over to a snail breeding jar. Assassins will eat other things but their favorite food is snails so I wanted to keep some for treats.

Thank you for mentioning the fact that yours eat your frogbit roots. I am trying to grow some dwarf water lettuce and the roots don't seem to be growing like they should. I put a couple of the bigger ramshorns in the tank I am trying to grow it in. I hadn't thought about the snails eating the roots. I will remove the bigger snails and put an assassin in there to get rid of the smaller ones.

7. OP
    OP
    Lynn78too

I don't know what's going on but I just looked and I'm seeing at least 8 of them. Where on earth did they come from?! One snail is one thing but 8 is something completely different. There's 4 on 2 different pieces of driftwood and 4 on the sponge filter. Is this something that can turn into an infestation? I was just telling my husband how nice the tank has been with no algae, there seems to be a nice balance of fish and plants in there, no one seems stressed and now I see all these little snails, some are much smaller than others.

8. Dch48

Dch48Well Known MemberMember

MTS burrow into the substrate and can disappear for long stretches of time. The young ones also seem to suddenly emerge from the sand or gravel. They do reproduce fairly fast but not as fast as Ramshorns. They are livebearers and do not lay eggs. In the wild thousands of them can be found in one square meter of substrate. (up to 30,000!). they are good for cleaning out and stirring up the substrate but they also can become pests.

9. mattgirl

When it comes to most snails...If you see one there are more that you don't see. By the time I saw the first ramshorn snail in my tank they were all over everything.

If you want to keep some of them for a cleanup crew you could get a few assassin snails or just pick them out when you see them. You don't want assassins if you have snails you want to keep though because assassins aren't picky. They will eat any snail they find.

10. OP
    OP
    Lynn78too

Yeah, I just found 12. I kind of figure if I can see 12 there are probably 3 times that many. I have ramshorn in my heavily planted tank. I pick them out randomly but attempting to pull them all out is like trying to pull out all of my gray hairs, it just isn't going to happen. :D I have nerites in this particular tank and I don't want to move them to the heavily planted tank since I already have nerites, amanos, cherry shrimp, and unfortunately, the rams horns and I can't hardly see any of them! I guess if I find they're a nuisance I'll start picking them out. It doesn't sound like they're too good at getting rid of algae though, just cleaning up waste? They're pretty enough though, unlike those ramshorn...

11. Iverg1

Iverg1Well Known MemberMember

Did you put in a new plant I think that's where they from if they weren't already in your tank

12. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogTooWell Known MemberMember

Set yourself up a pea puffer tank and whenever you see snails in your other tanks just pull them out and put them in the puffer tank. Free puffer food.

13. OP
    OP
    Lynn78too

I did and I have a feeling that's what happened. I did have the one from before though. I did wash the plants before I put them in. I also didn't see any snails in the tank.

I can only imagine my husbands reaction to that! Something like this.. (hahaha)o_O:wideyed::stop::emoji_sushi:

I didn't see a hahaha smiley.

14. mattgirl

I just reread my previous post and what I said confused even me so I can imagine it was confusing to you too :D

What I was trying to say is if you get just 2 or 3 assassin snails there wouldn't be enough of them to totally wipe out all of the pest snails but would help you keep them under control. By not getting rid of all of them you would still have some in there to take care of the algae and food that gets past your fish. Snails do help keep a tank clean but I have also found that they poop a LOT.

I discovered just how badly my tank was infested when I did a gravel vac and the water coming out was black. I might not have been so set on totally eradicating them if they had been the kind you have just discovered. As far as I am concerned there is nothing about ramshorns to like.

15. OP
    OP
    Lynn78too

Oh, yeah, I didn't think of the poop. I think I'll reconsider those assassins.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice