What’s This Growing In My Tank? Question

1. Kerryy

Kerryy Initiate Member

Does anyone know what this cobweb/cotton like stuff growing on my driftwood is? It smells pretty bad and has a slimy texture. I’ve taken the driftwood out and tried scrubbing it multiple times but the stuff keeps growing back. I’ve also left it there to see if it goes away on its own but it just gets worse. It also only seems to grow on the driftwood.

Any ideas on what it is and how to get rid of it?

1CD347B6-F953-4AF2-BE72-D74CEF1FD3E8.jpeg 93D393DB-FDA6-4897-BE91-F13B5BEBECE5.jpeg 15267D14-8175-4E70-B359-F6F7E0677698.jpeg

2. Z

Z24zorpx4 Initiate Member

That is biofilm growing on the driftwood, it is normal for this to happen with new driftwood as the bacteria are eating the leftover nutrients in the wood. It should go away soon.

3. Seasoldier

Seasoldier Well Known Member Member

Hi & welcome, what you have there is called bio-film, it's a structure that things like bacteria & diatoms etc. use to support their growth, it's harmless & if you have shrimp in you tank they will snack on it.

4. Algonquin

Algonquin Member Member

Be warned - it can take a while for it to stop... It took a couple of months for mine to stop growing that. I just use a toothbrush to clean it off in the old tank water when I do a water change.

5. OP
    OP
    Kerryy

Kerryy Initiate Member

Thank you for the helpful replies. Looks like I’ll just have to ride it out until it goes away.